The Ro-Na Theater opened in 1949 in downtown Ironton, Ohio, and featured intricate murals of local history along with first-run movies before closing and becoming an auto parts store. It was abandoned in the 1980’s and is now in the process of being restored.
Work began on removing the roof in mid-July 2009 in preparation for its replacement. A fundraising group kicked off a drive to raise $200,000 in donations to complete this phase of its restoration, and donations poured in from not only local contractors and out-of-town businesses, but from the city, who contributed a large amount.
Ironton’s High School was partially demolished in late 2007 as part of a year-long rebuilding effort. The front and side entrances were saved and and will be reused.