The Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway (CNO&TP) features 27 tunnels, many of which stand abandoned.


The CNO&TP is a railroad that runs from Cincinnati, Ohio south to Chattanooga, Tennessee. The railroad it operates, the Cincinnati Southern Railway, is owned by the city of Cincinnati and leased to the CNO&TP under a long-term agreement.

When completed in 1879, the route contained 27 tunnels, most of them concentrated in “The Rathole” between Danville, Kentucky and Oakdale, Tennessee. The tunnels, designed to be about 15 feet wide and 20 feet high, included:

  • Tunnel no. 2 at King’s Mountain, which was 3,992-feet long.
  • Tunnel no. 3 and 4 at Burnside.
  • Tunnel no. 5 north of Sloans Valley.

The tunnels were originally lined with timber, but most were eventually relined with stone and brick unless they went through solid rock.

In the 1940’s, when the Wolf Creek Dam on the Cumberland River in Kentucky was planned, the high water level in the new reservoir would flood a portion of the Pittman’s Creek bridge at the portal to tunnel no. 4. Work began in the late 1940’s to reroute the railroad and on August 3, 1950, tunnels nos. 3 and 4 were closed to northbound traffic; southbound traffic began using the new bridge on August 8.

The CNO&TP undertook a massive construction project between 1961 and 1963 that saw many tunnels bypassed with cuts and the reduction of steep grades and curves at a cost of $32 million. Included in the project was the bypass of tunnel nos. 2 and 5. Project 1 of the massive project removed tunnel no. 2 at King’s Mountain, Kentucky with a cut that was at most 140-feet deep. Project 2 removed tunnel no. 5 with fills as high as 215 feet and cuts as deep as 160 feet.

The completion of the project was heralded on July 10, 1963, when the New River bridge near Robbins, Tennessee was opened.


Last weekend, I set about to explore tunnels nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 as they were within close proximity to each other and generally accessible when dry. Tunnel no. 2, at King’s Mountain, was the easiest to access from a local roadway and from the railroad. It diverges from the mainline and proceeds into the narrow tunnel for nearly 4,000 feet. The ends are flooded but the tunnel itself remains dry and navigable.

Tunnels nos. 3 and 4 were bypassed with a major line change due to the damming of the Cumberland River. Accessed off of Richardson Road, a graded path along the old right-of-way leads into tunnel no. 3 and then tunnel no. 4. Both were bore through solid rock and were never lined.

Tunnel no. 4’s southern portal put out onto a major bridge over Pittman’s Creek, although no traces of the crossing remains today.

Tunnel no. 5, located south of Burnside, was relined and later improved with concrete walls to contain some slippage. It was inaccessible from the southern portal due to excessive water on the old right-of-way, but the northern portal was very much visible and open throughout.

20141214-_DSC4541

Check out more of the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway and explore it’s other abandoned alignments »


I have received a lot of requests on location information. Here are directions:

  • Tunnel no. 2 at King’s Mountain: Located between Stanford and Somerset, follow US 27 to KY 501 for King’s Mountain. Follow KY 501 west for 2.7 miles to the railroad overpass. The tunnel is located about 170 meters north of the bridge. GPS: 37.373976, -84.689932
  • Tunnel nos. 3 and 4 at Burnside: From US 27 and KY 90 at Burnside, follow KY 1247 for 1.5 miles. Turn left onto an access road to the old alignment of KY 1247 and then left again. Follow the old road for 1.3 miles. Upon crossing a single track railroad spur, turn right onto Richardson Lane. Cross three tracks and turn left onto a narrow one lane road. Park near the gate but do not block the entrance. It is a 20 minute hike from the gate to the portal of tunnel no. 3, and from there, another 20 minutes to the portal of tunnel no. 4. GPS: 37.005689, -84.605878
  • Tunnel no. 5 south of Burnside: From Burnside, follow US 27 south for 4.6 miles. A small entrance is located to the right that leads up to an old alignment of US 27. Park off to the side, taking care not to block the gate. GPS: 36.941679, -84.552521