The Fisher Body Company Plant No. 21 is located in Detroit, Michigan and formerly produced automobile bodies for General Motors. The Albert Kahn-designed facility was constructed in 1919 to produce wooden automobile bodies for a variety of companies – later manufacturing exclusively for General Motors.
As early as 1930, General Motors downgraded the status of Fisher Body’s Plant 21 as being inefficient. In that year, the company began moving body manufacturing from Plant 21 to other, more efficient locations. Limousine body assembly was moved to Plant 21 from General Motor’s Fleetwood plant in 1955 because output was only about 1,000 cars annually.
On November 29, 1982, General Motors announced that Fisher Body’s Plant 21, along with Plant 40 and 41, all part of Fisher Body’s Detroit Central complex, would close. Production would relocate to “Buick City” in Flint, leaving 900 hourly and 300 salaried employees furloughed. The last day of production for Plant 21 was on April 1, 1984.
The shuttered Plant 21 was purchased by the Carter Color Coat Company in 1990 and the building was reused for industrial painting. In June 1992, Carter Color Coat declared bankruptcy and the plant abandoned. Ownership reverted to the city of Detroit in 2000.
View more photographs of Abandoned’s newest article, Fisher Body Company Plant No. 21 →