Ashland Tuberculosis Hospital

Medical / Kentucky

The Ashland Tuberculosis Hospital in Ashland, Kentucky was a tuberculosis medical facility for the northeast part of the state.


The Ashland Tuberculosis Hospital, constructed between 1946 and 1948, was for patients that had contracted tuberculosis, an infectious and contagious disease. The state provided $2.7 million towards the administrative and operational costs of the hospitals, which included regional complexes in London, Glasgow, Madisonville, and Paris. 2

The development of the drug streptomycin led to a dramatic decline of tuberculosis rates and deaths in the United States. 2 Most of the state tuberculosis hospitals in the state, including Ashland’s, closed in the late 1970s. The building was reused in the 1980s to 2005 as a Kentucky State Crime Lab and state office space. 1

Safe Harbor of Northeast Kentucky announced on February 27, 2008, that it would rehabilitate the former state hospital to provide permanent and supportive housing for women and children who were victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault. 1 It would include a playground, meditation garden, ponds, and gardens. Interior renovations were finished by AU Associates, which included adding one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments, a full-time daycare, a kitchen for vocational training, classrooms, and meeting rooms. All work was completed by the spring of 2009.


Sources

  1. Preston, Tim. “Creating a safe place in a neglected space.” Daily Independent (Ashland) 27 Feb. 2008.
  2. “Paris, Bourbon County Welcome Tuberculosis Hospital.” Bourbon County Citizen (Paris) 15 March 1989. 3 Dec. 2007: 15.