Buckeye Ordnance Works
The Buckeye Ordnance Works manufactured ammonium nitrate explosives for three years during World War II in South Point, Ohio. The complex was later used in the production of agricultural products, bio-fuel, and various chemicals.
World War II spurred development of several ammunitions factories and suppliers across the United States. In early 1942, construction began on the Buckeye Ordnance Works, also known as the Atmospheric Nitrogen Corporation, in South Point, Ohio. 3 The village and factory, as well as the nearby city of Ironton, were placed within the Industrial Defense Zone.
Operations of the Ordnance Works began in 1943 and produced ammonium nitrate explosives for the United States military. 1 2 After combat operations in the global conflict ceased, the plant was purchased by Allied Chemical and produced ammonia, urea, nitrogen fertilizer, melamine, formaldehyde, and urea formaldehyde until 1978.
Ashland Incorporated purchased the complex in the following year and proceeded to demolish many of the existing structures. 1 In its place, Ashland constructed a coal-water fuel pilot plant and a pitch prilling test plant that transformed pitch into small pellets. South Point Ethanol acquired an 80-acre tract of land in the center of the former production area for ethanol production in 1981. 1 Air Liquide Corporation’s division, Cardox, leased a section of the South Point Ethanol tract and began production of liquid carbon dioxide in 1985.
Both South Point Ethanol and Cardox ceased operations at South Point in 1995. 1 Air Liquide continued to use the site for liquid carbon dioxide storage and transfer until January 1997. Part of the ethanol plant grounds were used for a biofuel plant in 2000, but it closed almost as soon as it had opened due to numerous environmental violations relating to the storage and handling of tobacco and wood waste. 2
Work began in 2004 on the demolition and repurposing of several older structures, and the construction of new facilities as part of The Point, an industrial park.