The D.L. Moore Distillery is a former bourbon distillery near Burgin, Kentucky. It was founded in 1873 by Daniel Lawson Moore, 1 fed by the Shawnee Run spring. 2 5
Moore produced the “Moore and Rebstock” brand for Charles Rebstock of St. Louis and his own “Stonewall” brand. 5 On February 6, 1889, 5 upon the death of his father-in-law, Judge William H. McBrayer, 3 Moore sold the distillery to Major M.L. Dowling and his brother, John L. Dowling 2 for $35,000, 5 where it was renamed Dowling Distillery. 4
The Dowlings remained part owners of the Waterfill & Dowling Distillery, formerly Waterfill & Frazier, as well as a cooperage plant in Anderson County. 5 They continued the operation until Prohibition when it was closed. Moore was the executor of the estate of McBrayer, who had left the Cedar Run Distillery in Anderson County to Moore’s children, who were all minors and grandchildren of the McBrayers. Moore left to manage Cedar Run.
In 1934, the Dowling Distillery was rebuilt near the original site of the Southern Railroad and operated until the 1950’s. 5 It was then sold to Schenley and Bob Gould before being acquired by J.T.S. Brown Distilling. 4 5
Gould sold the J.T.S. Brown plant to Austin-Nocholas in July 1972 and the Dowling Distillery was vacated. 5