The Newburgh Masonic Temple, located in the Miles Park neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio, is a noted Cleveland Landmark.
A contract was let by the Illuminating Building on February 1, 1916 for the construction of a 3- and 5-story temple for the Newburgh Masonic Temple at 8414 Broadway in what was then the village of Newburgh.1 It was to contain a concrete foundation, solid brick walls, tile and joist floors, tile partitions, and a brick and terra cotta exterior with an estimated of $65,000.
William J. Carter was selected as the architect.4 Carter was born in Cleveland and was a descendant of Lorenzo Carter, the first permanent settler in the city. He was a civil engineer with various industrial firms before being appointed the U.S. Government Quartermaster’s Department Superintendent of Construction in Portland, Maine. Carter returned to become Cleveland City Engineer in 1901.
A meeting was held on November 9 in the older temple at 8444 Broadway and plans of organization was circulated.3 A petition for Dispensation was crafted and on March 1, 1917, Ashlar Lodge No. 639 was established. The first meeting was held on May 31 in the new Newburg temple.
In the spring of 1969, the Newburgh Masonic Temple voted to place their building for sale due to increasing maintenance and a lack of secure parking.3 It merged in 1977 with the Theodore Breck Lodge No. 714 in Brecksville.
By 1978, the temple was for sale.2 A warranty deed was filed on November 19, 1976 to Southern Travelers for $55,000, who filed a quit claim deed on February 6, 1989 to Rev. D.B. Ross.5 It was reverted back to Southern Travelers under a judgement entry on April 1, 1991 and was forfeited on February 21, 2013.[stag_toggle style=”normal” title=”Sources” state=”closed”]
- “Ohio.” Engineering and Contracting 17 Nov. 1915: 30. Print.
- Esrati, Stephen G. “From Manx to Cleveland – with love.” Plain-Dealer [Cleveland] 2 Jul. 1978: 13-E. Print.
- “The History of Ashlar Lodge.” Ashlar Lodge #639. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2015. Article.
- “William J Carter.” Cleveland Landmarks Commission. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2015. Article.
- “O134-08-02.” Cuyahoga County Auditor. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2015.