Ashland gasoline stations was a product of Ashland Oil & Refining Company, which began as a small outfit in Catlettsburg, Kentucky. Founded by Paul Blazer in 1924, the company expanded into road paving and construction operations, coal, oil exploration, motor oils via Valvoline and chemical manufacture and distribution. In the late 1990’s, Ashland formed a joint venture with Marathon Oil and eventually exited the oil refinining and marketing business in 2005.
Gulf Oil was an oil company from 1901 until it was merged with Standard Oil of California in 1984. At that point, Gulf stations were rebranded as Chevron in the United States. The Gulf brand has seen some revival thanks to a complex partnership formed in 1993 that had acquired the naming rights to Gulf Oil from Chevron in 1986.
Fisher’s Travel Camp
Fisher’s Travel Camp is located in Scott County, Kentucky along US 25. It featured a Shell gasoline station and a small motel. The land is still owned by the children and grandchildren of Tom and Hallie Fisher.