The Wyoming Hotel is an abandoned hotel in downtown Mullens, West Virginia.
The Wyoming Hotel was constructed in 1918. 1 The building was destroyed by fire in August 1919 and rebuilt in the following year by J.C. Sullivan, owner of several coal mines in Tralee, Meade Poca and Barker’s Creek.
The five-story hotel was designed by Alex Mahood and was built in the form of an “H.” 2 It featured a grand lobby, restaurant and ballroom on the first floor, a mezzanine over the lobby and social rooms on the second floor. On the upper three levels, there was one bathroom per floor for the 68 guest rooms. 1
Sullivan then moved his Bank of Wyoming from his company store building in Meade Poca or South Mullens to the hotel in 1922, occupying the front corner of the hotel. 1
Despite the good fortunes of the decade, Sullivan went bankrupt in 1925 and the hotel was acquired by the Shenandoah Life Insurance Company of Roanoke, Virginia. 2 In January 1926, the People’s Bank of Mullens replaced the Bank of Wyoming.
The hotel was sold to M.H. Hodel, the owner of the Beckley Newspaper Company, in the 1940’s, and then to Sam and Nelva Webster. 2
Guests in the hotel over the years included then-Senator John F. Kennedy, United Mine Worker’s President John L. Lewis, Babe Ruth, Will Rogers and other dignitaries. 1