The East Nassau Hebrew Synagogue is an abandoned Hebrew congregation in New York. It was founded in 1956 by Rabbi Morris Appleman 2 and was the first Orthodox Shul in the region. 3
In 2003, the Torah Academy of Long Island signed a lease to operate a school out of the building. 1 The school was expected to buy the building after their lease term of four years and 11 months expired 3 but the academy defaulted on its lease when the school went out of business in August. 2
Citing a gradual decline in membership, Rabbi Solomon Appleman decided to sell the building in 2006. 2 A group of area residents, who claimed to be synagogue members, sued to block the sale. The group wanted to pay the rabbi $1 million to force the sale of the building to them so they could reorganize the congregation with the help of the local Chabad.
The rabbi insisted that those who filed the suit were never members of the congregation. 2
The East Nassau Hebrew Synagogue closed after the conclusion of High Holy Days in 2006. 2 The rabbi originally intended to renovate the building but put the building up for sale because a school closed.
The synagogue ran into controversy when attempting to sell the property to a Korean church in 2009 1 which was eventually allowed to proceed.