The Ronceverte Christian Church, located in Ronceverte, West Virginia, was constructed in 1886 and was the first and only christian church in Greenbrier County for years.1 The one-story, three-bay gable-roofed church rests on a stone basement, topped with a two-story tower with an open belfry, overlooks the Greenbrier River valley.
The building, built with oak, pine and chestnut wood from the area, was supplied by the St. Lawrence Lumber and Boom Company, the largest softwood lumber mill in the world from the late 1880’s to the 1920’s.1 Horace Mason, a General Superintendent for the lumber mill, was a founding member of the Ronceverte Christian Church.
Four stained glass windows were donated by Colonel Ellery Best and his wife, Jennie.1 Best was a manager at the lumber mill. Another stained glass window was donated by Clarence Hudgins in the 1940’s.
The only changes to the church occurred in the early 1930’s, when a fire resulted in structural modifications to the building, including the addition of classrooms.1
- United States. Dept. of the Interior. Ronceverte Historic District. Comp. David L. Taylor. Washington: National Park Service, Aug. 2004. West Virginia Division of Culture and History. Web. 8 Apr. 2015. Article.