The Brookes Building was located at the southwest corner of 5th and Market streets in downtown East Liverpool, Ohio. Built in 1898, it was razed in 2016 for a new apartment complex.


History

Constructed in 1898, 3 the Brookes Building housed Foutts Market on the first floor 2 and the Carroll Council No. 509 of the Knights of Columbus on the top floor. 3 Rinehart Clothier opened in 1902 on the first floor. 2 The Bon-Ton opened in 1904, replaced by Robins & Sant at a later date. 3 The Ohio Valley Business College was located on the 3rd floor. 2 4 It was located in the Reed Building, which was destroyed in a fire in February 1905.

Demolition

The East Liverpool Community Partnership for Revitalization (ELCPR) began pursuing a developer in 2013 for a residential project for downtown that would encompass the Brookes Building and several others along Market Street. 6 After several proposals were heard, the Miller Valentine Group was selected as the lead developer.

Initial plans included restoring the Brookes Building into apartments but it was not found to be economically feasible. 9 Miller Valentine instead proposed a $10 million development with 45 units aimed at young professionals. 6 The units would be offered at below market rates, targeted to those earning 60% of the county’s average median income of $34,000. 11

The company requested $2,291,502 in federal housing credits and was awarded the full amount in June 2015. 6 A certificate of appropriateness was approved on November 2 by the Design Review Board, thus granting approval for demolition of the buildings for Market Street Lofts. 7 The board delayed granting a certificate of appropriateness for the actual construction of the building after members made suggestions about the building’s aesthetics.

The revisions were accepted on December 17. 8 On the same day, Miller Valentine received $1.5 million in a loan through the Housing Development Loan program via the Ohio Housing Finance Agency. 12

The sale of the Brooke Building and several other structures to Soaring Eagle LLC was completed in June 2016. 5 Demolition for Market Street Lofts began on July 12 by Rudzik Excavatioing. 10

Sources