The Hotel West Virginian, located in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, was constructed in 1930 by Constantine Thymius, a Greek contractor, for Theodore Soure. The hotel opened with 22 guest rooms and the White Sulphur Restaurant.1 The restaurant was operated by Theodore and John and Nick Argyrakis, both Greek immigrants, who operated the restaurant for a number of years. The hotel featured an “Old World” design inspired by Edward Simpson’s antique shop at The Greenbrier.
The hotel closed in the 1980’s and was subsequently owned by John Bell, a Lewisburg contractor 2. It was then sold to The Greenbrier in 2003 for $160,000 under the assumption that the structure would be preserved and renovated. The Simpson-Taylor Building adjacent to the hotel was also purchased for $250,000 under the same assumptions. Under a year of evaluation and research, however, it was discovered that there was significant structural problems, especially to the West Virginian Hotel, along with numerous safety concerns. Both were also not eligible for full historic tax credits. Before demolition, Bell was given access to hotel to strip the building of any value so that it could possibly be used in a current or future building in the city.
The Greenbrier also owned the former Alvon Hotel, which opened in 1920 and was demolished in 1995 under similar circumstances.2