Mansfield Savings Bank operated at the corner of 4 West Fourth and North Main streets in downtown Mansfield, Ohio from 1914 until the early 1980’s. Prior to corner location, the bank was situated adjacent to 4 West Fourth for forty years in a circa 1872 building.5
On June 11, 1912, the Mansfield Savings Bank closed on a deal to acquire from the Martin Frank estate, which included two structures that would need to be demolished.2 For several years prior, the bank had sought to purchase the buildings to expand their operations and to secure a prominent location on a busy street corner.
The directors of the bank at that time were considering constructing a skyscraper at least seven-stories in height with a basement.2 It would be the first skyscraper in the city. The basement and first level would be used for banking operations, while the second and third floors would be saved for large companies seeking space. The remainder would be occupied by bank offices.
By mid-December, the bank had made its decision on the type of building it desired to construct.3 Instead of a skyscraper, the bank had opted for a one-story bank building with a basement and mezzanine, built of granite and reinforced concrete. It would contain a polished marble base.4 The roof would be constructed of reinforced slabs, with an interior composed of skylights, bronze doors, mosaic tile floors, and marble and bronze bank fixtures.3 It was estimated that the new building would be finished for over $100,000.
Work began on the new bank on April 7, 1913. A building at 93 North Main Street5 was quickly remodeled in 60 days to serve as a temporary bank location while their original facility was partially demolished. The contract for the new Mansfield Savings Bank building was awarded to Feick & Son of Sandusky, which was finished in 1914.4
In the 1950’s, Mansfield Savings Bank merged with 1st National and the building was converted into the Trust Department.1 During remodeling, a false ceiling was installed and the tellers cages were removed. In the early 1980’s, the Trust Department moved to 3rd and Main streets, and the building was listed for sale.
Engwiler Properties purchased the structure in 1986.1