The McGuffey Mall and adjoining Garland Plaza were both former shopping centers in Youngstown, Ohio.
McGuffey Mall was constructed in 1954 as McGuffey Plaza 1 and was converted into an indoor center in the 1972.2 The strip mall was one of the first developments of William M. Cafaro, founder of the Cafaro Company, who went on to develop shopping malls across the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Pacific Northwest. Garland Plaza was constructed in 1960.2
The properties were the home of banks, supermarkets, a bowling alley, a post office.2 The Mahoning County Department of Job and Family Services rented space at Garland Plaza from 1988 until 2007 when it relocated to Oakhill Renaissance Place.1
In 2012, Cafaro decided to sell the two shopping centers but were not actively marketed.3 Highway Contracting of Boardman was the successful bidder for the McGuffey Mall and Garland Plaza properties for $150,000 in October 25, 2013.1 The excavating and demolition contractor was the highest of the three bidders. Work on demolition of McGuffey Mall and most of Garland Plaza began in December.[stag_toggle style=”normal” title=”Sources” state=”closed”]
- “McGuffey Mall and Garland Plaza sell for $150K.” Vindicator [Youngstown] 25 Oct. 2013: n. pag. Web. 1 Mar. 2014. Article.
- Nelson, George. “Company Bids $150K for McGuffey-Garland Site.” Business Journal [Youngstown] 24 Oct. 2013: n. pag. Web. 1 Mar. 2014. Article.
- Nelson, George. “Cafaro Co. Lists McGuffey, Garland Sites for Auction.” Business Journal [Youngstown] 8 Oct. 2013: n. pag. Web. 1 Mar. 2014. Article.