The Sattler Theater is located east of downtown Buffalo, New York and was in operation from 1914 to the 1960’s when it became a church. It was last active in 1996 and is now in a state of disrepair.
The Sattler Theater opened in 1914 on the site of the former wood-framed Casino Theatre. 1 Finished at a cost of $35,000, the 928-seat venue was commissioned by John G. Sattler who owned Sattler’s Department Store at 998 Broadway. It was designed in the Beaux Arts architectural style by Henry Spann and his brother, William Spann.
The Sattler became the Braodway Theatre in 1920. 1 A Marr and Colton two-manual organ was installed a few years later, and a small stage was installed for vaudeville productions. 2 A few years later, two brothers, the Basil’s, took over operation and renamed the theater Basil’s Broadway. 1 2
The theater became Muhammad’s Mosque 23 church in the mid-1960’s, receiving acclaim after being visited by Malcolm X and Mohammed Al. 2 It was then owned by God’s Holy Temple from 1976 to 1984 and then leased by Joy Temple Church from 1987 to 1996. 1 2
In 2008, Western New York Minority Media Professionals purchased the abandoned theater with the intent to remodel the building into its headquarters and presentation space. 1 2 The group paid $40,000 to God’s Holy Temple and is seeking $1 million towards the theater’s restoration.