Douglas, West Virginia, located near Coketon in Tucker County, was founded in 1891 by the Gormon brothers, Douglas Sr. and William H. who were senior partners in the Cumberland Coal & Coke Company, a subsidiary of Davis Coal & Coke.1 While Douglas never incorporated, its population peaked in 1920 at 600 residents. Twelve underground coal mines, which first opened in Douglas in 1891, closed by 1954. Additionally, 175 coke ovens were erected to compliment the coal mines. A lumber mill, constructed in 1893, closed in 1912.

Sources