The towns of Fayette and South Fayette, West Virginia were established along the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) when it was completed in January 1873.1 A ferry across the New River operated between the towns between 1873 to 1889 when the Fayette Station Bridge was completed.

Fayette was a mining town developed by the Fayette Coal & Coke Company2 while South Fayette hosted railroad operations for the C&O. The mines were later operated by the Hood Coal Company until the mid-20th century.2

Sources