Jewell Valley, Virginia is a former coal camp in the Buchanan coal field.
Jewell Valley was constructed by George L. Carter, who had earlier founded the Clinchfield Coal Company.1 The first railroad to serve the region was a line built by an earlier lumber company, which snaked up Mudlick Creek from Richlands to Whitewood and westward to Loggy Bottom School (as indicated on a 1916 topographic map). The logging railroad abandoned after the timber stands had been exhausted.
In 1931, the logging railroad was replaced by a Norfolk & Western Railroad (N&W) branch, which followed the Levisa Fork and Dismal Creek eastward to Whitewood and then Jewell Valley. The N&W later built a line from Whitewood south along Laurel Fork to Richlands.
The first coal mines at Jewell Valley were not put into operation until after the railroad was completed to the operation. A tipple was constructed by Jewell Smokeless, a company owned by Clinchfield Coal.1
The underground mines surrounding the town were exhausted by the early 1960’s, with Jewell Valley slumbering along until the late 1970’s when most of the industrial facilities were abandoned.