Shadyside Village is a mostly vacant community along Buffalo Creek in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. It is better known as Yellow Dog. As of 1987, the village boasted 148 residents, 35 dogs, and “innumerable” number of cats.


Buffalo Creek, later renamed to Shadyside Village, 3 was constructed in 1912 by the Frazer Brothers as a company town for their underground limestone mine along Buffalo Creek. In 1914, the mine and town was sold to the Pittsburgh Limestone Mining Company, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel. 4 5

The underground mine had a capacity of 1,500 tons daily, which was later increased to 3,500 tons daily, 4 employing between 300 and 400 men. 5 The crushed stone and lime was transported via the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad (later the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) to U.S. Steel’s blast furnaces in the Pittsburgh district and to cement plants for the manufacture of cement and stone for highway construction.

Like many company towns owned by larger industries, the parent company provided subsidized housing for as long as the employees did not join a union. 2 Shadyside Village garnered the nickname “Yellow Dog,” a political term for being anti-union.

In 1954, U.S. Steel began to dispose of its company towns, including Shadyside Village. 4 It was sold in 1959 to a church, only to be sold to an insurance salesman in 1965 and to Jesse Buzzard in 1980. 1

The underground mine was insolvent during the Great Depression 2 but survived, operating until 1964 by U.S. Steel. The mine reopened nearby by Brady’s Bend Limestone Corporation, supplying Allegheny Ludlum plants with lime.

In May 1985, Buzzard listed Shadyside Village for sale for $300,000. 1 The price included 38 acres, 21 houses, 14 garages, chapel, four paved streets, one ashed alley, a water system, backhoe and a circa 1984 pickup truck. Also included was a stocked trout stream, swimming hole, baseball field, playground and a pair of horseshoe pits.

At the time, 14 duplexes and seven single residences were being rented out for $135/month to $200/month. 1 Because of the lack of wells and septic tanks, the houses could not be sold individually. Only one individual, from West Virginia, was able to put down the required 20% deposit. 1 For reasons unknown, the deal soured and the village went unsold.

In December 2014, the village and its remaining 16 buildings were sold to Joseph Meyer for $222,000. 2 Meyer proposed renovating the residences into a heritage and craft-centered educational village, staffed by five to six craftspeople. Some of the traditional skills Meyer proposed offering included sustainable housing construction, traditional farming and gardening, horsemanship, blacksmithing, carpentry, folk medicine, folk medicine and glass blowing.