Wilson, Maryland, located in Garrett County on the North Branch Potomac River, is alongside the West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway. First known as Wilson’s Mills, Wilson was located between Bayard and Dobbin and settled by George Washington Wilson, son of Thomas Wilson IIII and brother-in-law of Ebenezer Kitzmiller.1 George’s father had given him this land, and George moved here with his bride in 1860 to begin a lumber business.
During the Civil War, George served in Company B, West Virginia Cavalry Volunteer, enlisting in 1862 and leaving in 1865 at the war’s conclusion.1 Afterwards, he returned home to his wife and son Daniel, and to continue his shook shop, where he manufactured staves and beading for barrels that were hauled by teamsters on Oakland and shipped via the Balimore and Ohio Railroad. Wilson was later elected to the Maryland House of Delegates three times as a Republican in 1877, 1879 and 1887.1
Wilson’s Mills was renamed to Camden after a railroad director with the WVC&P in 1883, but such a ruckus was made that the town was renamed Wilson. A depot was located on the West Virginia side of the river, while the company houses were located in Maryland.1
By 1900, most of the timber in the Wilson vicinity was cut and trees were being sourced as far west as the Fairfax territory.1[stag_toggle style=”normal” title=”Sources” state=”closed”]
- Ghost Towns of the Upper Potomac. Parsons, W.Va.: Mcclain Printing Co., 1998. Rootsweb. Web. 12 June 2012. Article.