The Ashland Tuberculosis Hospital was located in Ashland, Kentucky and was constructed from 1946 to 1948. The speciality hospital serviced the northeastern part of the commonwealth with state-of-the-art inpatient facilities that combated the threat of that deadly disease. It operated for approximately 15 years before the threat of the disease diminished due to modern medicine and treatments. A pair of crosses adorned the entrance to the hospital, the symbol for the Kentucky Tuberculosis Association and later the American Lung Association.1
This facility was closed in the mid-1970’s and was reused in the 1980’s to 2005 as a Kentucky State Crime Lab and state office space.1 After the facilities relocated, the former hospital property became vacant.
On February 27, 2008, it was announced that Safe Harbor of Northeast Kentucky would restore the former sanatorium to provide permanent and supportive housing for women and children who were victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault.1 The ground would include a playground, meditation garden, ponds and a herb and vegetable garden, with possible other future improvements slated, to be completed by Sweetbay Landscaping of Ashland. Interior renovations was completed by AU Associates of Lexington, who specialized in restoring neglected urban structures and consisted of constructing one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, a full-time daycare, multipurpose rooms, an industrial kitchen for vocational training, classrooms and meeting rooms.1
Safe Harbor’s new location opened in the spring of 2009.1