Hazelwood Sanatorium, located in Louisville, Kentucky, is a former tuberculosis hospital. Portions of the facility operate today as a mentally handicapped institution.
It was through the efforts of William Carrier Nones, a prominent Louisville citizen, that the Kentucky Anti-Tuberculosis Association was formed in 1905. The development of this organization, focused almost exclusively in the Louisville metropolitan area, was an effort to stamp out the contagious bacterial infection that involves a person’s lungs.4 The development of the Association led to the initial completion of Hazelwood Sanitarium on September 9, 1907 6 and the eventual renaming of the Association to the Louisville Anti-Tuberculosis Association.3 Hazelwood was the first institution of its type in the commonwealth,4 and was built as a 34-bed 6 open-air tuberculosis clinic in Hazelwood, a new neighborhood in the southern reaches of Louisville.1
In 1914, the main building and laundry facility were destroyed by a fire.2 Fund raising was held, although because the institution was heavily mortgaged, the organization was having trouble securing contributions.5 Hazelwood had since its inception been operated on a semi-philanthropic basis, and it was not long before monies were raised for a new building. Within months, construction of a new facility began and was opened to patients on April 1, 1915.2 The new building was able to house 120 patients.8 In 1943, an additional 150 beds were added to Hazelwood, bringing total capacity to 250 patients.7 8
In 1962, when Waverly Hills Tuberculosis Hospital closed as a tuberculosis hospital due to the drug streptomycin, the remaining patients were transferred to Hazelwood. Hazelwood closed as a tuberculosis facility in 1971 and was reopened as the Hazelwood Center, a long-term mentally handicapped institution.