The Man Appalachian Regional Hospital (ARH) was located in Man, West Virginia and was constructed from 1954-56 by the Miners Memorial Hospital Association (MMHA), a not-for-profit that constructed hospitals and clinics and provided health services for the coal mining regions of eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia.2 Thousands of United Mine Workers of America workers and citizens celebrated the Miners Memorial Hospital openings, which were scattered throughout the region and provided modern health care in regions that had scant medical support.


Reportedly, the Man hospital grounds contained a major Indian village that existed from 1450 to 1550 A.D. which was unearthed during construction in the mid-1950’s.1

The MMHA was facing financial difficulties in the early 1960’s and announced that it was closing some hospitals.2 Shortly after, the Board of National Missions formed a new non-profit medical services system, Appalachian Regional Hospitals (ARH), that purchased the Miners Memorial Hospitals. In 1986, the name of the system was changed to Appalachian Regional Healthcare to better define its expanding role.


In 2000, the ARH announced the closure of the Man hospital due to a lack of adequate funding, closing in 2001.3

Plans were announced on February 9, 2009 to demolish the Man ARH despite plans from Logan County to use the additions of the hospital for a Level 5 trauma center.5 The plans called for the older hospital sections to be demolished, with a new wing that would be constructed for the facility. The trauma center would be part of the Community Health Foundation of Man, which adjoined the disused hospital and was still active.

Community leaders made attempts to have the hospital reopened, and began seeking funding to purchase the property from ARH.6 In a sign of desperation, Logan Bank and Trust delayed foreclosure proceedings on the property until the county could take ownership of the land. But the hospital became a hazard for the community. A fire was set on May 1 that was quickly put out, and it was suspected that vandals had started the fire to burn old medical records left in the hospital.4 In January 2011, out of liability concern, the Logan County Commission began the process of removing debris from the former hospital.6