Mountain State Hospital was located at Virginia and Morris streets in Charleston, West Virginia.
The beginnings of Mountain State came when a group of local physicians, pharmacist George Kenney and state attorney general E.T. England purchased a residence on Virginia Street and founded the Mountain State Hospital in 1921.3 The hospital featured 120 beds, two operating rooms, a delivery room and nursing school.
Mountain State merged with Charleston Memorial Hospital in 1969 1 and closed in 1971.2 It was used afterwards as a nursing home before closing in 1999. In 2005, the complex was purchased by Eye and Ear Clinic and demolished for a parking lot.[stag_toggle style=”normal” title=”Sources” state=”closed”]
- Point, Warren. “Charleston Area Medical Center.” e-WV. West Virginia Humanities Council, 20 Nov. 2010. Web. 22 Jan. 2013. Article.
- Peyton, Billy Joe. “East End.” Charleston. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2010. 62. Print.
- Bumgardne, Stan. “A Suburban City.” Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2006. Charleston. 84. Print.