A listing of abandoned industries, including breweries, distilleries, steel mills, and power plants, in the United States.n

Indiana

Farmers Grain Company

Farmers Grain Company

The former Farmers Grain Company elevator of Carlos, Indiana is located on the abandoned Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railway.

  • Location: Carlos, Indiana
  • Status: Abandoned

Indiana Ammunitions Depot

Indiana Army Ammunition Plant

The Indiana Army Ammunition Plant (INAAP), located southeast of Charlestown, Indiana, was the largest ammunition plant in the United States.

  • Location: Charlestown, Indiana
  • Status: Abandoned, Being Demolished

Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant

Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant

Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant is an abandoned power generating facility in Marble Hill, Indiana. It was abandoned in 1984 after $2.7 billion was expended.

  • Location: Marble Hill, Indiana
  • Status: Demolished

20110709-_DSC4068

Moser Leather Company

The Moser Leather Company manufactured high-grade leather for harnesses and collar manufacturers before expanding into wholesale leather.

  • Location: New Albany, Indiana
  • Status: Abandoned

Universal Atlas Cement Company

Universal Atlas Cement Company

The Universal Atlas Cement Company, a former United States Steel Corporation (USS) subsidiary, is an abandoned Portland cement plant at Buffington Harbor, five miles west of Gary, Indiana.

  • Location: Buffington Harbor, Indiana
  • Status: Abandoned

Kentucky

AK Steel Ashland Works

AK Steel Ashland Works

AK Steel Ashland Works is a mostly closed integrated steel mill near Ashland, Kentucky. It contains a mothballed pig-iron blast furnace, basic oxygen furnace, continuous caster, coating line and other production facilities. At its height, the 700-acre plant also featured a coke facility, another pig-iron blast furnace and a hot strip.

  • Location: Russell, Kentucky
  • Status: Closed

Buchanan Fuel Krypton Loadout

Buchanan Fuel Krypton Loadout

The Buchanan Fuel Krypton Loadout was located near a small surface coal mine in Kyrpton, Kentucky.

  • Location: Krypton, Kentucky
  • Status: Demolished

Chinn Mine

Chinn Mine

Chinn Mine is an abandoned calcite mine turned tourist attraction, restaurant, and gasoline station located across the mouth of Shawnee Run along the Kentucky River in Brooklyn, Kentucky.

  • Location: Brooklyn, Kentucky
  • Status: Abandoned

Falls of Rough Grist Mill

Falls of Rough Mill

The Falls of Rough Mill is an abandoned and partially collapsed mill along the Rough River in Falls of Rough, Kentucky.

  • Location: Falls of Rough, Kentucky
  • Status: Active, Collapsed

20070429-20070429-DSC_8117

January and Wood Company

January and Wood Company was a former cotton mill at West Second Street in Maysville, Kentucky. It closed in 2003.

  • Location: Maysville, Kentucky
  • Status: Demolished

Kentucky Fire Brick Company

Kentucky Fire Brick Company

The Louisville & Portsmouth Fire Brick Company established a refractory brick manufacturing plant at Haldeman, Kentucky in 1903. It closed in 1958.

  • Location: Haldeman, Kentucky
  • Status: Abandoned

Lee Clay Products

Lee Clay Products

Lee Clay Products, a former brick factory in Clearfield, Kentucky, was in operation until 1970.

  • Location: Morehead, Kentucky
  • Status: Active

Louisville Gas and Electric’s Paddy’s Run Power Plant

The Louisville Gas and Electric (LG&E) Paddy’s Run Power Plant is a defunct power generating facility in southwestern Louisville, Kentucky, located at the confluence of Paddy’s Run stream and the Ohio River. Planning for the coal-fired power plant in the Rubbertown district of the city began in the 1930s, when the majority of the 140 antiquated steam power plants that dotted the city only decades prior were being phased out.

  • Location: Louisville, Kentucky
  • Status: Being Demolished

Louisville Varnish Company

  • Location: Louisville, Kentucky
  • Status: Abandoned

Olive Hill Fire Brick Company

Located within a very rich clay deposit, fire brick was produced for decades in Olive Hill, Kentucky that was shipped worldwide.

  • Location: Olive Hill, Kentucky
  • Status: Abandoned

Parker Tobacco Company

Parker Tobacco Company

Parker Tobacco Company is a former tobacco purchasing, processing, marketing, and commercial storage operation in Maysville, Kentucky. It was demolished in 2011 after several arson attempts.

  • Location: Maysville, Kentucky
  • Status: Demolished

Texas Company Oil Refinery

Texola, Kentucky was home to a Texas Company Oil Refinery from 1920 until 1945.

  • Location: Texola, Kentucky
  • Status: Abandoned

20150117-_DSC5989

Tygart Limestone Company

The Lawton Limestone Company is a former limestone mine in Lawton, Kentucky. It later became the Tygart Limestone Company, which opened an underground mine. After it closed, the facility was used to grow mushrooms. An ill-fated attempt in the 2000’s to convert the tunnels into a data storage center ended when it was discovered the business behind the proposal was fraudulent.

  • Location: Lawton, Kentucky
  • Status: Abandoned

Maryland

Lonaconing Silk Mill

Lonaconing Silk Mill

The Lonaconing Silk Mill, located in Lonaconing, Maryland, is the one of the last intact silk mills in the United States. It is situated within the National Lonaconing Historic District.

  • Location: Lonaconing, Maryland
  • Status: Closed

Michigan

Bigelow-Cooper Company

Bigelow-Cooper Company

The Bigelow-Cooper Company is a former hardwood flooring manufacturer in Bay City, Michigan.

  • Location: Bay City, Michigan
  • Status: Demolished

Detroit Harbor Terminals

Detroit Harbor Terminals

Detroit Harbor Terminals is located along the Detroit River in Detroit, Michigan. Prior to the completion of the terminal, most of the commodities and raw materials used in Detroit were shipped first by water to Cleveland, Chicago, or Toledo and shipped to Detroit via rail. Construction of a ten-story, 900,000 square feet building, of reinforced concrete, was the largest on the Great Lakes when it opened on March 15, 1926. The new building was designed by famed architect Albert Kahn and his firm.

  • Location: Detroit, Michigan
  • Status: Abandoned

Fisher Body Company

Fisher Body Company Plant 21

The Fisher Body Company Plant No. 21 is located in Detroit, Michigan and formerly produced automobile bodies for General Motors. The building has been abandoned since 1993.

  • Location: Detroit, Michigan
  • Status: Abandoned

Packard Automotive Plant

Packard Automotive Plant

The Packard Automotive Plant is a former automobile manufacturing facility in Detroit, Michigan, known for its infamous slogan, “Ask the Man Who Owns One,” and its luxurious automobiles. Constructed in 1903, the factory employed 40,000 at its peak before closing in 1958. Portions of the complex remained in operation for other businesses until 2010.

  • Location: Detroit, Michigan
  • Status: Being Renovated

New York

Cargill Superior Elevator

Cargill Superior Elevator

The Cargill Superior Elevator is an abandoned grain elevator along the Buffalo River in Buffalo, New York.

  • Location: Buffalo, New York
  • Status: Abandoned

Hickling Power Plant

Genesee Power Plant

Genesee Power Station is an abandoned power plant that was in operation from 1948 to 2000.

  • Location: New York
  • Status: Abandoned

Otis Elevator Company, Curtiss-Wright

Otis Elevator Company Buffalo Works / Curtiss-Wright

The Otis Elevator Company is a former factory along Northland Avenue in Buffalo, New York. The site was later reused by Curtiss-Wright to manufacture aircraft components.

  • Location: Buffalo, New York
  • Status: Abandoned

Spirella Company, Mount St. Mary’s Nursing Home

Spirella Company

The Spirella Company manufactured corsets at the corner of Main Street and Bellevue Avenue in Niagara Falls, New York. It was later reused as a nursing home until relocating in 2003.

  • Location: Niagara Falls, New York
  • Status: Abandoned

Van Nattas Pumping Station

Van Nattas Pumping Station

The Van Nattas Pumping Station, located in Ithaca, New York, was constructed by the Ithaca Light & Water Company in 1893. It was built on the site of the Van Natta & Jones Mill.

  • Location: Ithaca, New York
  • Status: Abandoned

Gallery

Ohio

Alpha Portland Cement Company

Alpha Portland Cement Company

Alpha Portland Cement Company is a former cement manufacturing plant in Ironton, Ohio. Abandoned for decades, the complex was demolished in 2010.

  • Location: Ironton, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Ault and Wiborg Company

Ault and Wiborg Company

The Ault and Wiborg Company had a factory located at 417 East 7th Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio that was built in 1930 for the Queen City Printing Company, a manufacturer of printing inks and dry color dyes and pigments that innovated the industry with coal-tar dyes. It was demolished in 2009.

  • Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Buckeye Ordnance Works

The Buckeye Ordnance Works, in operation for only three years during World War II in South Point, Ohio, manufactured ammonium nitrate explosives.

  • Location: South Point, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Buckeye Steel Castings

Buckeye Steel Castings

Buckeye Steel Castings, later known as Columbus Castings, is a former foundry in Columbus, Ohio. It was once the largest single site steel foundry in North America.

  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
  • Status: Being Demolished

Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company

Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company

The Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company, located in Petersburg (Coal Grove), Ohio, was a tile and brick manufacturer.

  • Location: Coal Grove, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Cavanaugh Company

Cavanaugh Company

The Cavanaugh Company, a hardware wholesale supply company, was located in Youngstown, Ohio.

  • Location: Youngstown, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

City Mills

City Mills

The City Mills Building, located at 160 North Main Street in Mansfield, Ohio, served as a warehouse for the Sandusky & Mansfield Railroad and then as a mill for City Mills and Gilbert, Waugh and Company.

  • Location: Mansfield, Ohio
  • Status: Preserved

Champion Paper

Champion Paper

Champion Paper, which later became Champion International Paper, International Paper and then Smart Papers, is a former paper mill in Hamilton, Ohio.

  • Location: Hamilton, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished, Renovated

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens consists of 200 disused coke ovens that was constructed by the Leetonia Iron and Coal Company circa 1866 in Leetonia, Ohio.

  • Location: Leetonia, Ohio
  • Status: Preserved

Consolidated Grain

Consolidated Grain

Consolidated Grain was located along Beekman Street in Cincinnati, Ohio.

  • Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Status: Partially Demolished

Crosley Building

Crosley Building

The Crosley Radio Corporation, which was the largest manufacturer of table-top radios in the United States, was based in Cincinnati, Ohio.

  • Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Crowell-Collier Publishing Company

Crowell-Collier Publishing Company

The printing operation for the Crowell-Collier Publishing Company, once the world’s largest magazine publishing house, was located on High Street in Springfield, Ohio. The editorial, circulation, and business offices were located in Chicago and New York.

  • Location: Springfield, Ohio
  • Status: Partially Demolished

Ferry Cap and Screw Company

Ferry Cap and Screw Company

The Ferry Cap and Screw Company manufactures cold-headed, high- strength precision fasteners for trucks, power generators and construction and industrial markets.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Frank Sherman Company

Frank Sherman Company

The Frank Sherman Company was a former scrap metal dealer in Youngstown, Ohio.

  • Location: Youngstown, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Harding-Jones Paper Company

Harding-Jones Paper Company

The Harding-Jones Paper Company is a former paper mill in Excello, Ohio. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Harding-Jones Paper Company Historic District.

  • Location: Excello, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Harvard Company - Webster Dental Manufacturing Company

Harvard Company – Webster Dental Manufacturing Company

The Harvard Company andWeber Dental Manufacturing Company are former dental furniture and equipment manufacturers in Canton, Ohio. It’s factory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Location: Canton, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Hercules Motors

Hercules Motors

Hercules Motors is a formerly abandoned industrial factory that manufactured high-speed, lightweight gasoline engines in Canton, Ohio. The plant’s buildings, an earshot from downtown, are being rehabilitated into apartments, offices, and retail space.

  • Location: Canton, Ohio
  • Status: Restored, Being Renovated

Joseph and Feiss Company

Joseph & Feiss Company

The Joseph & Feiss Company is a former manufacturer of tailored apparel for men in Cleveland, Ohio.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Renovated, Abandoned

Lempco Industries

Lempco Industries

Lempco, an industrial facility located in New Lexington, Ohi, manufactured die sets, guiding components and springs for the automotive industry.

  • Location: New Lexington, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

The Mechanical Rubber Company

The Mechanical Rubber Company

Collected in several lots at Lisbon and Evins Street in Cleveland, Ohio were several notable industries, including the Cleveland Rubber Company.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

National Acme

National Acme

National Acme, a merger of two notable machine tool manufacturers, is an abandoned factory in Cleveland, Ohio. At its height, National Acme was one of the largest manufacturers of machine tools in the United States.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

National Copper and Smelting Company

National Copper and Smelting Company

The National Copper and Smelting Company is a now demolished factory on East 123rd Street in the Little Italy neighbourhood of Cleveland, Ohio. After relocating, the site was reused by Woodhill Supply and by the American Heart Association for the storage of boxes of rubber ducks.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

New Boston Coke Corporation

New Boston Coke Corporation

The New Boston Coke Corporation, once part of the Portsmouth Steel complex in New Boston, Ohio, employed nearly 5,000 during its height.

  • Location: New Boston, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

20100705-_DSC2153

Ohio Edison

The Ohio Edison power plant was located along the Mad River and the National Road in Springfield, Ohio, and was demolished in 2010.

  • Location: Springfield, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Ohio Edison (Toronto, Ohio)

Ohio Edison

A major coal-fired power plant in Toronto, Ohio that has been demolished.

  • Location: Toronto, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Peter's Cartridge Company

Peters Cartridge Company

Peter’s Cartridge Company is a former smokeless ordnance and shot shell ammunition factory in Kings Mill, Ohio. Located along the Little Miami River, the 71-acre Peters Cardridge factory began production of ordnance in 1887, ending in 1944.

  • Location: Kings Mill, Ohio
  • Status: Being Renovated

Picway Power Plant

Picway Power Plant

The American Electric Power (AEP) Picway Power Plant is a former power house located in Lockbourne, Ohio. It is mis-named after the county it resides in, Pickway.

  • Location: Lockbourne, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Plibricore Refractories

Plibricore Refractories

Located in the tiny community of Blackfork, Ohio, Plibricore Refractories was a former brick factory that begun its operations in the early-1900s.

  • Location: Blackfork, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Republic Rubber Company

Republic Rubber

The Republic Rubber Company, located in Youngstown, Ohio, was a manufacturer of tires and hoses for the automotive and aerospace industries.

  • Location: Youngstown, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Richman Brothers

Richman Brothers

The Richman Brothers Company is a former manufacturer and distributor of men’s suits, furnishings and hats in Cleveland, Ohio. It operated a tailoring plant, national network of stores and an office complex.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Selby Shoe Company

Selby Shoe Company

The Selby Shoe Company opened a four-story factory along South Third Street in Ironton, Ohio in 1926. The facility was purchased in 1943 by the Wilson Athletic Goods Mfg. Co.

  • Location: Ironton, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Springfield Metallic Casket Company

Springfield Metallic Casket Company

The Springfield Metallic Casket Company was located in Springfield, Ohio. Established in 1884, the factory was the largest producer of metallic caskets in the United States.

  • Location: Springfield, Ohio
  • Status: Being Renovated

Stearns and Foster Company

Stearns and Foster Company

Once the largest cotton consumer in the United States, this aged factory in Lockland, Ohio underwent new management and promptly began downsizing and eventually closed this location’s doors for good in 2003.

  • Location: Lockland, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Marquette Cement Manufacturing Company

Superior Portland Cement Company

The Superior Portland Cement Company was located in Superior, Ohio along the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad.

  • Location: Superior, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

20150726-_DSC6770

Tip Top Cereal Company

The Tip Top Cereal Company is a now-demolished industrial building on Canal Road in the Flats of Cleveland, Ohio.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Warner & Swasey Company

Warner & Swasey Company

The Warner & Swasey Company is a former manufacturer of machine tools, instruments, and specialty equipment, best known for its astronomical telescopes and turret lathes for astronomical observatories and military installations. Founded as a partnership in 1880 by Worcester Reed Warner and Ambrose Swasey, the main factory was located in Cleveland, Ohio.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Abandoned

Wean United

Wean United

Wean United is a former manufacturer of equipment that was used to process and finish flat rolled steel, steel and iron rolls, iron castings, coupling boxes, annealing bottoms and boxes and steam hydraulic forging presses in Youngstown, Ohio. It was equipped to produce castings and rolls weighing up to 100 tons.

  • Location: Youngstown, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Van Dorn Iron Works

Van Dorn Iron Works

The Van Dorn Iron Works was located in Cleveland, Ohio. The manufacturing plant relocated in 1991.

  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Status: Demolished

Other

Ward Bakery

The Ward Bakery is a defunct bakery in Youngstown, Ohio. Ward Baking Company was founded in New York City in 1849. It was renamed Continental Baking in 1925 and sold bread, cake and other related bakery products wholesale. It sold under two widely advertised tradenames: “Wonder” for its bread products and “Hostess” for its cake products.

The Ward Bakery building is today used as an artists collective.

Pennsylvania

Jeannette Glass

Jeannette Glass

The Jeannette Glass Company, located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania, was in operation from 1887 until 1983.

  • Location: Jeannette, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Being Demolished

Magee Mine Hoist House

Magee Mine

Magee Mine is a former coal mine that operated from 1908 to 1954 in Yukon, Pennsylvania. The mine was named for James Magee, a member of the company’s original board of directors.

  • Location: Yukon, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Abandoned

New Castle Refractories

New Castle Refractories

New Castle Refractories is a now demolished factory along Industrial Street in New Castle, Pennsylvania.

  • Location: New Castle, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Demolished

Scranton Lace

Scranton Lace Company

The Scranton Lace Company, a former lace manufacturer, is located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Also known as the Scranton Lace Curtain Company and the Scranton Lace Curtain Manufacturing Company, it was the largest manufacturer of Nottingham lace in the United States between 1916 and 2002.

  • Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Under Renovations

Shenango China

Shenango China Company

The Shenango China Company, of New Castle, Pennsylvania, is a former manufacturer of Incaware, restaurant china with a light colored background and decoration.

  • Location: New Castle, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Abandoned

St. Nicholas Breaker

St. Nicholas Central Breaker

St. Nicholas Central Breaker is a historic coal breaker built by thePhiladelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company near Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania. It is in the process of being demolished.

  • Location: Shenandoah, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Being Demolished

Universal Atlas Cement

Universal Atlas Cement

Universal Atlas Cement, a former division of United States Steel Corporation, is a former cement plant in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania. It closed in 1979.

  • Location: Penn Hills, Pennsylvania
  • Status: Abandoned

Tennessee

Fisk University Steam Plant

The Fisk University steam plant was located in Nashville, Tennessee.

  • Location: Nashville, Tennessee
  • Status: Abandoned

West Virginia

Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company

Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company

The Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company operated from 1904 to 1979 in Barboursville, West Virginia.

  • Location: Barboursville, West Virginia
  • Status: Demolished

Fostoria Glass

Fostoria Glass Company

Fostoria Glass Company, located in Moundsville, West Virginia, was the largest manufacturer of handmade glassware in the United States.

  • Location: Moundsville, West Virginia
  • Status: Demolished

Hazel-Atlas Glass Company

Hazel-Atlas Glass Company

The Hazel-Atlas Glass Company is a former manufacturer of machine-molded glass containers in Wheeling, West Virginia. At its height, Hazel-Atlas was the third largest producer of glass containers in the United States.

  • Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
  • Status: Demolished

Pantasote

Located within the heavily polluted West Virginia Ordnance Works facility, this small manufacturer of resins had its own wealth of environmental problems.

  • Location: West Virginia
  • Status: Abandoned

Pilgrim Glass Company

The Pilgrim Glass Company was located in Ceredo, West Virginia and was founded in 1949 by Alfred Knobler after he acquired the Tri-State Glass Manufacturing Company. Early production pieces of Pilgrim included hand-blown crackle glass, although the company became known for their cranberry glass, which was a temperamental combination of gold and lead oxide, that led Pilgrim to become the largest producer of cranberry in the world. After not finding a buyer for the business, Knobler closed Pilgrim Glass in 2002.

  • Location: Ceredo, West Virginia
  • Status: Renovated

Weirton Steel

Weirton Steel

Weirton Steel is a formerly integrated steel mill in Weirton, West Virginia. Significant portions have been demolished in recent years.

  • Location: Weirton, West Virginia
  • Status: Active, Demolished

Wheeling Steel Benwood Works

Wheeling Steel Benwood Works

Wheeling Steel Corporation’s Benwood Works is a former pipe mill in Benwood, West Virginia. It closed in 1984.

  • Location: Benwood, West Virginia
  • Status: Active, Abandoned