New Castle Refractories is a now demolished factory along Industrial Street in New Castle, Pennsylvania.
The complex was constructed in 1919 and manufactured various types of cordierite kiln furniture used by the ceramic and glass industries; 1 2 clay-graphite, silicon carbide and other silicate refractory products for ferrous and nonferrous metal industries; 2 insulating fire bricks and shapes for industrial furnace linings; and other refractory and abrasion resistant products.
New Castle Refractories received a $200,000 Small Business First Loan through the Northwest Commission. 2 The company also recently closed on a $55,000 City of New Castle Enterprise Zone loan, a $120,000 Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority loan, and a $ 45,000 Lawrence County Economic Development Corporation loan. New Castle Refractories used the money to purchase the plant’s assets, becoming the New Castle Refractories Division of Dixon Ticonderoga Company.
New Castle Refractories was acquired by RESCO in December 2006. 3 In June 2007, RESCO acquired Shenango Advanced Ceramics in the city. 4 RESCO closed its New Castle Refractories complex and merged it with the Shenango Advanced Ceramics facility.
Demolition of the former New Castle Refractories began on March 9, 2016. 1 The Lawrence County Economic Development Corporation had secured a $1 million grant from the state Department of Community and Economic Development for the demolition and remediation of the site.