The Ohio Edison power plant in Toronto, Ohio was constructed along the banks of the Ohio River, and consisted of four generating units that were put into operation between 1925 and 1928.1 Three additional units were constructed in the 1940s, which resulted in the construction of a 650-foot smokestack.1 2
The four original units were taken out of service in 1970 after they had approached the end of their useful life. The other units were converted into an experimental clean fuel facility in the early 1990’s, converting ground tire pellets into fuel for the boilers.1 The experiment proved to not be cost efficient and the last three units were deactivated in 1993.
On November 1, 2008, the smoke stack of the power plant was imploded with 73 pounds of explosives.1 2 Demolition of the remaining sections of the power plant continued into 2009.[/stag_one_half] [stag_one_half_last]