Schmidt Brothers Brewery is a defunct brewery located at 135 and 138 East McMicken Avenue in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio.


Friedrich and Hinrich Schmidt purchased Peter Herancourt’s brewery at Central Avenue and Kindel Street for $1,500 in the early 1870’s. 1 2

Friedrich was born on August 6, 1840 in Hanover, Germany and migrated to Cincinnati in 1866. 2 He worked as a blacksmith in Cincinnati before being employed at an iron foundry in Newport, Kentucky. He then worked with his brother, Heinrich, at a grocery store in 1868.

Heinrich left the brewery in 1875. 1 Friedrich sought after Henry Adam as a new partner and together they purchased George Bach’s brewery on McMicken Avenue. Henry sold his share of the company to Louis Prell in December, and the brewing company became known as Schmidt and Prell. Heinrich rejoined the company in January 1876 as an equal partner with Friedrich and the brewery was once again renamed to Schmidt and Brother.

Heinrich passed away in 1891. 1 2 Friedrich formed Schmidt Brothers Brewing Company on April 1.

Friedrich died in 1898 with his widow took over all operations until her death in 1905. 1 Gerhardt Schmidt and George Lampe purchased the factory and renamed it Crown Brewery. One of the top-selling products was “Happy Days” beer but it’s rise was short-lived. Probation began in 1919, and to keep the business active, Crown manufactured “Tang,” a near beer that failed to gain traction. Crown Brewery folded in 1925.