A listing of abandoned breweries, distilleries, iron furnaces, power plants and other industrial structures in the United States.

IndianaKentuckyMarylandMichiganNew YorkOhioPennsylvaniaTennesseeWest VirginiaMiscellaneous

Farmers Grain Company

Farmers Grain Company

The former Farmers Grain Company elevator of Carlos, Indiana is located on the abandoned Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railway.

Location: Carlos, Indiana
Status: Abandoned

Indiana Ammunitions Depot

Indiana Army Ammunition Plant

The Indiana Army Ammunition Plant (INAAP), located southeast of Charlestown, Indiana, was the largest ammunition plant in the United States.

Location: Charlestown, Indiana
Status: Abandoned/Being Demolished

Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant

Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant

Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant is an abandoned power generating facility in Marble Hill, Indiana. It was abandoned in 1984 after $2.7 billion was expended.

Location: Marble Hill, Indiana
Status: Demolished

20110709-_DSC4068

Moser Leather Company

The Moser Leather Company manufactured high-grade leather for harnesses and collar manufacturers before expanding into wholesale leather.

Location: New Albany, Indiana
Status: Abandoned

AK Steel Ashland Works

AK Steel Ashland Works

AK Steel Ashland Works, located west of Ashland, Kentucky, features one pig-iron blast furnace, a basic oxygen furnace, continuous caster, coating line, and other production facilities.

Location: Russell, Kentucky
Status: Active/Closed

Buchanan Fuel Krypton Loadout

Buchanan Fuel Krypton Loadout

The Buchanan Fuel Krypton Loadout is located near a small surface coal mine in Kyrpton, Kentucky.

Location: Krypton, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

Buffalo Springs Distillery

The Buffalo Springs Distillery, located in Stamping Ground, Kentucky, was first used as a distillery in 1866.

Location: Stamping Ground, Kentucky
Status: Demolished

20070429-20070429-DSC_8117

January and Wood Company

The January and Wood Company, a cotton mill, was located on West Second Street in Maysville, Kentucky.

Location: Maysville, Kentucky
Status: Demolished

Kentucky Fire Brick Company

Kentucky Fire Brick Company

The Louisville & Portsmouth Fire Brick Company established a refractory brick manufacturing plant at Haldeman, Kentucky in 1903. It closed in 1958.

Location: Haldeman, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

Lee Clay Products

Lee Clay Products

Lee Clay Products, a former brick factory in Clearfield, Kentucky, was in operation until 1970.

Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Status: Active

Louisville Gas and Electric’s Paddy’s Run Power Plant

The Louisville Gas and Electric (LG&E) Paddy’s Run Power Plant is a defunct power generating facility in southwestern Louisville, Kentucky, located at the confluence of Paddy’s Run stream and the Ohio River. Planning for the coal-fired power plant in the Rubbertown district of the city began in the 1930s, when the majority of the 140 antiquated steam power plants that dotted the city only decades prior were being phased out.

Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Status: Being Demolished

Louisville Varnish Company

Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

Old Crow Distillery

Old Crow Distillery

Old Crow Distillery, located in Kentucky, once produced Old Grand Dad, Bourbon DeLuxe, Sunny Brook and its namesake, Old Crow. The factory closed in 1987 as a result of a buy-out from competitor Jim Bean.

Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
Status: Being Renovated

20140802-_DSC6353

Old Louis Hunter Distillery

The Old Louis Hunter Distillery, located in Lair, Kentucky along the banks of the South Fork Licking River, operated from around 1850 until 1974.

Location: Lair, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

20101120-_DSC0025

Old Taylor Distillery

Old Taylor Distillery, located south of Frankfort, Kentucky along Glenn’s Creek, was constructed by E.H. Taylor, Jr. in 1887. Old Taylor was known for being the first to produce one million cases of straight bourbon whiskey. The complex is currently being restored for Castle & Key, an upstart distillery.

Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
Status: Renovated

Olive Hill Fire Brick Company

Located within a very rich clay deposit, fire brick was produced for decades in Olive Hill, Kentucky that was shipped worldwide.

Location: Olive Hill, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

Parker Tobacco Company

Parker Tobacco Company

Parker Tobacco Company is a former tobacco purchasing, processing, marketing, and commercial storage operation in Maysville, Kentucky. It was demolished in 2011 after several arson attempts.

Location: Maysville, Kentucky
Status: Demolished

Texas Company Oil Refinery

Texola, Kentucky was home to a Texas Company Oil Refinery from 1920 until 1945.

Location: Texola, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

T.W. Samuels Distillery

T.W. Samuels Distillery

The T.W. Samuels Distillery is an abandoned distillery in Deatsville, Kentucky. It produced its signature “T.W. Samuels” bottle and a 90-proof label.

Location: Deatsville, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

20150117-_DSC5989

Tygart Limestone Company

The Lawton Limestone Company was located in Lawton, Kentucky along the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. It later became the Tygart Limestone Company, which opened an underground mine that grew to 2.6 million square feet in size. After the mine closed, the tunnels were used to grow mushrooms. An ill-fated attempt in the 2000’s to convert the mines into a data center ended when it was discovered the high-tech data storage company was fraudulent.

Location: Lawton, Kentucky
Status: Abandoned

Lonaconing Silk Mill

Lonaconing Silk Mill

The Lonaconing Silk Mill, located in Lonaconing, Maryland, is the one of the last intact silk mills in the United States. It is situated within the National Lonaconing Historic District.

Location: Lonaconing, Maryland
Status: Closed

Bigelow-Cooper Company

Bigelow-Cooper Company

The Bigelow-Cooper Company is a former hardwood flooring manufacturer in Bay City, Michigan.

Location: Bay City, Michigan
Status: Demolished

Detroit Harbor Terminals

Detroit Harbor Terminals

Detroit Harbor Terminals is located along the Detroit River in Detroit, Michigan. Prior to the completion of the terminal, most of the commodities and raw materials used in Detroit were shipped first by water to Cleveland, Chicago, or Toledo and shipped to Detroit via rail. Construction of a ten-story, 900,000 square feet building, of reinforced concrete, was the largest on the Great Lakes when it opened on March 15, 1926. The new building was designed by famed architect Albert Kahn and his firm.

Location: Detroit, Michigan
Status: Abandoned

Fisher Body Company

Fisher Body Company Plant 21

The Fisher Body Company Plant No. 21 is located in Detroit, Michigan and formerly produced automobile bodies for General Motors. The building has been abandoned since 1993.

Location: Detroit, Michigan
Status: Abandoned

Packard Automotive Plant

Packard Automotive Plant

The Packard Automotive Plant is a former automobile manufacturing facility in Detroit, Michigan, known for its infamous slogan, “Ask the Man Who Owns One,” and its luxurious automobiles. Constructed in 1903, the factory employed 40,000 at its peak before closing in 1958. Portions of the complex remained in operation for other businesses until 2010.

Location: Detroit, Michigan
Status: Being Renovated

Cargill Superior Elevator

Cargill Superior Elevator

The Cargill Superior Elevator is an abandoned grain elevator along the Buffalo River in Buffalo, New York.

Location: Buffalo, New York
Status: Abandoned

Hickling Power Plant

Genesee Power Plant

Genesee Power Station is an abandoned power plant that was in operation from 1948 to 2000.

Location: New York
Status: Abandoned

Otis Elevator Company, Curtiss-Wright

Otis Elevator Company Buffalo Works

Later Curtiss-Wright

The Otis Elevator Company is a former factory along Northland Avenue in Buffalo, New York. The site was later reused by Curtiss-Wright to manufacture aircraft components.

Location: Buffalo, New York
Status: Abandoned

Spirella Company, Mount St. Mary’s Nursing Home

Spirella Company

The Spirella Company manufactured corsets at the corner of Main Street and Bellevue Avenue in Niagara Falls, New York. It was later reused as a nursing home until relocating in 2003.

Location: Niagara Falls, New York
Status: Abandoned

Van Nattas Pumping Station

Van Nattas Pumping Station

The Van Nattas Pumping Station, located in Ithaca, New York, was constructed by the Ithaca Light & Water Company in 1893. It was built on the site of the Van Natta & Jones Mill.

Location: Ithaca, New York
Status: Abandoned

Gallery

Alpha Portland Cement Company

Alpha Portland Cement Company

Alpha Portland Cement Company is a former cement manufacturing plant in Ironton, Ohio. Abandoned for decades, the complex was demolished in 2010.

Location: Ironton, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Ault and Wiborg Company

Ault and Wiborg Company

The Ault and Wiborg Company had a factory located at 417 East 7th Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio that was built in 1930 for the Queen City Printing Company, a manufacturer of printing inks and dry color dyes and pigments that innovated the industry with coal-tar dyes. It was demolished in 2009.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Buckeye Ordnance Works

The Buckeye Ordnance Works, in operation for only three years during World War II in South Point, Ohio, manufactured ammonium nitrate explosives.

Location: South Point, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Buckeye Steel Castings

Buckeye Steel Castings

Buckeye Steel Castings, later known as Columbus Castings, is a former foundry in Columbus, Ohio. It was once the largest single site steel foundry in North America.

Location: Columbus, Ohio
Status: Being Demolished

Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company

Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company

The Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company, located in Petersburg (Coal Grove), Ohio, was a tile and brick manufacturer.

Location: Coal Grove, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Cavanaugh Company

Cavanaugh Company

The Cavanaugh Company, a hardware wholesale supply company, was located in Youngstown, Ohio.

Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

City Mills

City Mills

The City Mills Building, located at 160 North Main Street in Mansfield, Ohio, served as a warehouse for the Sandusky & Mansfield Railroad and then as a mill for City Mills and Gilbert, Waugh and Company.

Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Status: Preserved

Champion Paper

Champion Paper

Champion Paper, which later became Champion International Paper, International Paper and then Smart Papers, was a paper mill in Hamilton, Ohio.

Location: Hamilton, Ohio
Status: Demolished / Renovated

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens consists of 200 disused coke ovens that was constructed by the Leetonia Iron and Coal Company circa 1866 in Leetonia, Ohio.

Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Status: Preserved

Clyffside Brewing Company

Clyffside Brewing Company

Clyffside Brewing Company is a defunct brewery in Cincinnati, Ohio, which began in 1933 in the former Mohawk Brewery. The company’s signature selections included Felsenbrau beer and Old Hickory Ale that was “aged in the hills.”

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Consolidated Grain

Consolidated Grain

Consolidated Grain was located along Beekman Street in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Partially Demolished

Crockery City Brewing Company

Crockery City Brewing Company

The Crockery City Brewing Company is a former brewery on Webber Way in East Liverpool, Ohio. Named after the city’s famed pottery industry, the brewery opened in 1900 and closed in 1952.

Location: East Liverpool, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Crosley Building

Crosley Building

The Crosley Radio Corporation, which was the largest manufacturer of table-top radios in the United States, was based in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Crowell-Collier Publishing Company

Crowell-Collier Publishing Company

The printing operation for the Crowell-Collier Publishing Company, once the world’s largest magazine publishing house, was located on High Street in Springfield, Ohio. The editorial, circulation, and business offices were located in Chicago and New York.

Location: Springfield, Ohio
Status: Partially Demolished

Ferry Cap and Screw Company

Ferry Cap and Screw Company

The Ferry Cap and Screw Company manufactures cold-headed, high- strength precision fasteners for trucks, power generators and construction and industrial markets.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Frank Sherman Company

Frank Sherman Company

The Frank Sherman Company was a former scrap metal dealer in Youngstown, Ohio.

Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Harding-Jones Paper Company

Harding-Jones Paper Company

The Harding-Jones Paper Company, located in Excello, Ohio, is an early example of the paper manufacturing industry.

Location: Excello, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Harvard Company - Webster Dental Manufacturing Company

Harvard Company – Webster Dental Manufacturing Company

The Harvard Company andWeber Dental Manufacturing Company are former dental furniture and equipment manufacturers in Canton, Ohio. It’s factory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Location: Canton, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Hudepohl Brewing Company

Hudepohl Brewing Company

Founded in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio in 1885, the Hudepohl Brewing Company brewed golden lager, dark lager, seasonal bock beer and several regional styles of lager that were popular in Germany. The company later relocated to a brewery in Queensgate that was formerly home to Herman Leckman Brewing Company. Hudepohl vacated the factory in 1987 when it merged with the Schoenling Brewing Company.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Joseph & Feiss Company

Joseph & Feiss Company

The Joseph & Feiss Company, located in Cleveland, Ohio, is the oldest manufacturer of tailored apparel for men in the United States.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Kauffman Brewing Company

Kauffman Brewing Company

The Kauffman Brewing Co., a defunct brewery at 1622 Vine Street in Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati, Ohio, closed during Prohibition and never reopened.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Closed

Lempco Industries

Lempco Industries

Lempco, an industrial facility located in New Lexington, Ohi, manufactured die sets, guiding components and springs for the automotive industry.

Location: New Lexington, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

The Mechanical Rubber Company

The Mechanical Rubber Company

Collected in several lots at Lisbon and Evins Street in Cleveland, Ohio were several notable industries, including the Cleveland Rubber Company.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Demolished

National Acme

National Acme

National Acme, located in Cleveland, Ohio, was one of the largest manufacturers of machine tools in the United States.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

New Boston Coke Corporation

New Boston Coke Corporation

The New Boston Coke Corporation, once part of the Portsmouth Steel complex in New Boston, Ohio, employed nearly 5,000 during its height.

Location: New Boston, Ohio
Status: Demolished

20100705-_DSC2153

Ohio Edison

The Ohio Edison power plant was located along the Mad River and the National Road in Springfield, Ohio, and was demolished in 2010.

Location: Springfield, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Ohio Edison (Toronto, Ohio)

Ohio Edison

A major coal-fired power plant in Toronto, Ohio that has been demolished.

Location: Toronto, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Peter's Cartridge Company

Peters Cartridge Company

Peter’s Cartridge Company is a former smokeless ordnance and shot shell ammunition factory in Kings Mill, Ohio. Located along the Little Miami River, the 71-acre Peters Cardridge factory began production of ordnance in 1887, ending in 1944.

Location: Kings Mill, Ohio
Status: Being Renovated

Picway Power Plant

Picway Power Plant

The American Electric Power (AEP) Picway Power Plant is a former power house located in Lockbourne, Ohio. It is mis-named after the county it resides in, Pickway.

Location: Lockbourne, Ohio
Status: Being Demolished

Plibricore Refractories

Plibricore Refractories

Located in the tiny community of Blackfork, Ohio, Plibricore Refractories was a former brick factory that begun its operations in the early-1900s.

Location: Blackfork, Ohio
Status: Demolished

The Portsmouth Brewing and Ice Company

The Portsmouth Brewing and Ice Company

The Portsmouth Brewing and Ice Company is a defunct brewery in Portsmouth, Ohio.

Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Republic Rubber Company

Republic Rubber

The Republic Rubber Company, located in Youngstown, Ohio, was a manufacturer of tires and hoses for the automotive and aerospace industries.

Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Richman Brothers

Richman Brothers

The Richman Brothers Company was a manufacturer and distributor of men’s suits, furnishings and hats. It operated a national network of stores, a tailoring plant and office complex.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Schmidt Brothers Brewery

Schmidt Brothers Brewery

Schmidt Brothers Brewery is a defunct brewery located in Cincinnati, Ohio.It was founded by Friedrich and Heinrich Schmidt and brewed what they referred to as the “common ale” of the city.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Selby Shoe Company

Selby Shoe Company

The Selby Shoe Company opened a four-story factory along South Third Street in Ironton, Ohio in 1926. The facility was purchased in 1943 by the Wilson Athletic Goods Mfg. Co.

Location: Ironton, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Springfield Metallic Casket Company

Springfield Metallic Casket Company

The Springfield Metallic Casket Company was located in Springfield, Ohio. Established in 1884, the factory was the largest producer of metallic caskets in the United States.

Location: Springfield, Ohio
Status: Being Renovated

Stearns and Foster Company

Stearns and Foster Company

Once the largest cotton consumer in the United States, this aged factory in Lockland, Ohio underwent new management and promptly began downsizing and eventually closed this location’s doors for good in 2003.

Location: Lockland, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Marquette Cement Manufacturing Company

Superior Portland Cement Company

The Superior Portland Cement Company was located in Superior, Ohio along the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad.

Location: Superior, Ohio
Status: Demolished

20150726-_DSC6770

Tip Top Cereal Company

The Tip Top Cereal Company was located on Canal Road in Cleveland, Ohio.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Warner & Swasey Company

Warner & Swasey Company

The Warner & Swasey Company is a former manufacturer of machine tools, instruments, and specialty equipment, best known for its astronomical telescopes and turret lathes for astronomical observatories and military installations. Founded as a partnership in 1880 by Worcester Reed Warner and Ambrose Swasey, the main factory was located in Cleveland, Ohio.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Abandoned

Wean United

Wean United

Wean United is a former manufacturer of equipment that was used to process and finish flat rolled steel, steel and iron rolls, iron castings, coupling boxes, annealing bottoms and boxes and steam hydraulic forging presses in Youngstown, Ohio. It was equipped to produce castings and rolls weighing up to 100 tons.

Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Van Dorn Iron Works

Van Dorn Iron Works

The Van Dorn Iron Works was located in Cleveland, Ohio. The manufacturing plant relocated in 1991.

Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Status: Demolished

Other

George J. Renner Brewing Company

The George J. Renner Brewing Company, an abandoned brewery in Akron, Ohio, was established circa 1848. It was in operation until December 8, 1952. The buildings were reused by the Renner Akron Realty Company as a management company for land holdings in the city that were owned by the brewery.


Ward Bakery

The Ward Bakery is a defunct bakery in Youngstown, Ohio. Ward Baking Company was founded in New York City in 1849. It was renamed Continental Baking in 1925 and sold bread, cake and other related bakery products wholesale. It sold under two widely advertised tradenames: “Wonder” for its bread products and “Hostess” for its cake products.

The Ward Bakery building is today used as an artists collective.

Jeannette Glass

Jeannette Glass

The Jeannette Glass Company, located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania, was in operation from 1887 until 1983.

Location: Jeannette, Pennsylvania
Status: Being Demolished

Scranton Lace

Scranton Lace Company

The Scranton Lace Company, a former lace manufacturer, is located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Also known as the Scranton Lace Curtain Company and the Scranton Lace Curtain Manufacturing Company, it was the largest manufacturer of Nottingham lace in the United States between 1916 and 2002.

Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Status: Under Renovations

Shenango China

Shenango China Company

The Shenango China Company, of New Castle, Pennsylvania, is a former manufacturer of Incaware, restaurant china with a light colored background and decoration.

Location: New Castle, Pennsylvania
Status: Abandoned

St. Nicholas Breaker

St. Nicholas Central Breaker

St. Nicholas Central Breaker is a historic coal breaker built by thePhiladelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company near Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania. It is in the process of being demolished.

Location: Shenandoah, Pennsylvania
Status: Being Demolished

Universal Atlas Cement

Universal Atlas Cement

Universal Atlas Cement, a former division of United States Steel Corporation, is a former cement plant in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania. It closed in 1979.

Location: Penn Hills, Pennsylvania
Status: Abandoned

Victor Brewing Company

Victor Brewing Company

The Victor Brewing Company, located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania, was in operation from 1908 to 1941.

Location: Jeannette, Pennsylvania
Status: Abandoned

Fisk University Steam Plant

The Fisk University steam plant was located in Nashville, Tennessee.

Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Status: Abandoned

Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company

Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company

The Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company operated from 1904 to 1979 in Barboursville, West Virginia.

Location: Barboursville, West Virginia
Status: Demolished

Fostoria Glass

Fostoria Glass Company

Fostoria Glass Company, located in Moundsville, West Virginia, was the largest manufacturer of handmade glassware in the United States.

Location: Moundsville, West Virginia
Status: Demolished

Hazel-Atlas Glass Company

Hazel-Atlas Glass Company

The Hazel-Atlas Glass Company is a former manufacturer of machine-molded glass containers in Wheeling, West Virginia. At its height, Hazel-Atlas was the third largest producer of glass containers in the United States.

Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Status: Demolished

Pantasote

Located within the heavily polluted West Virginia Ordnance Works facility, this small manufacturer of resins had its own wealth of environmental problems.

Location: West Virginia
Status: Abandoned

Pilgrim Glass Company

The Pilgrim Glass Company was located in Ceredo, West Virginia and was founded in 1949 by Alfred Knobler after he acquired the Tri-State Glass Manufacturing Company. Early production pieces of Pilgrim included hand-blown crackle glass, although the company became known for their cranberry glass, which was a temperamental combination of gold and lead oxide, that led Pilgrim to become the largest producer of cranberry in the world. After not finding a buyer for the business, Knobler closed Pilgrim Glass in 2002.

Location: Ceredo, West Virginia
Status: Renovated

Reymann Brewing Company

Reymann Brewing Company

Reymann Brewery, located in Wheeling, West Virginia, is a former brewery and an integral part of the city’s rich German heritage.

Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Status: Abandoned

20100718-_DSC2868

Schmulbach Brewery

Schmulbach Brewery, located in Wheeling, West Virginia, was once an integral part of the city’s rich German heritage that dates to the 19th century.

Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Status: Closed

Wheeling Steel Benwood Works

Wheeling Steel Benwood Works

Wheeling Steel Corporation’s Benwood Works is a former pipe mill in Benwood, West Virginia. It closed in 1984.

Location: Benwood, West Virginia
Status: Active/Abandoned