Lee Clay Products, a former brick factory in Clearfield, Kentucky, was in operation until 1970.
In 1900, a corporation was formed in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and was focused on timber extraction and processing in eastern Kentucky.1 The Clearfield Lumber Company was organized in 1905 and constructed a large sawmill along Triplett Creek south of Morehead, and was connected to the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad’s Lexington Subdivision via the Morehead & North Fork Railroad in 1907. A company town, Clearfield, was established a year later.
By 1920, most of the virgin timber in the region had been exhausted, and Clearfield began exploring other uses for its large land holdings.1 On October 15, 1925, the first kiln was fired at the newly renamed company, Lee Clay Products Company, and manufactured fire brick, chimney toppers, pipes and tanks until 1970.
- “‘Lee Clay Products’ exhibition opens Feb. 7 at KFAC.” Morehead News 23 Jan. 2013: n. pag. Web. 27 Jan. 2014. Article.