Ohio River Lock and Dam No. 32 is located west of Vanceburg, Kentucky and was utilized by the United States Army Corps of Engineers for the operation of the lock along the Ohio River. Located in northwest Lewis County 4.6 miles downstream of Vanceburg, No. 32 was part of a 53 dam system built between 1875 and 1929 from the Missisisppi River to Pittsburgh.1 The lot is located on a high terrace overlooking the Ohio River and all buildings face the river and were built between 1919 and 1922.
The lock, constructed from 1919 to 1922, was built with a box cofferdam and was founded upon wood piles driven to refusal.1 The dam was contracted in 1922 and was a pile-founded structure. Thirteen pneumatic steel caissons were designed, fabricated and erected by Dravo’s Engineering Works Division of Pittsburgh and towed 372 miles to the dam site. Each caisson measured between 75 and 111 feet in length and between 20 and 35 feet wide.
Lock and Dam No. 32 was rendered obsolete when the Captain Meldahl lock and dam was completed downstream in December 1964.1 2 The lock and dam was demolished soon after its opening.[/stag_one_half] [stag_one_half_last]