Ohio River Lock No. 34 is located in Chilo, Ohio and was utilized by the United States Army Corps of Engineers from 1925 to 1964.
Located in northwest Lewis County 4.6 miles downstream of Vanceburg, No. 34 was part of a 53 lock system built between 1875 and 1929 from the Mississippi River to the Allegheny River at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 1 The site is located on a high terrace overlooking the Ohio River and included nine houses, maintenance shed, paint locker, eight car garage and powerhouse. 3
Work on the lock complex began in 1914 although the buildings were not built until 1924 by the National Construction Company. The site, finished at a cost of $3.336 million, was dedicated on October 6, 1925.
Lock No. 34 featured 200 wickets that could take several hours to raise or lower by hand. 3 The single lock chamber measured 600-feet long by 110-feet wide.
The lock was rendered obsolete when the Captain Meldahl Lock and Dam was completed downstream in December 1964. 1 2 The lock chamber and wicket dam was demolished soon after Meldahl opened.