Bailey Park is a semi-abandoned recreational facility at Knapp and East Miltonia avenues in Youngstown, Ohio.
The city acquired land for Bailey Park on June 27, 1931. 2 In 1934, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was authorised to install baseball diamonds on vacant land in growing and stable neighbourhoods in Youngstown with Bailey Park slated for significant improvements. 1
Over 100 WPA workers were employed in the upgrades at the park in 1935 and 1936. 1 In 1939, a new concrete and brick grandstand was erected. By 1940, Bailey Park featured six hardball and two softball diamonds. An enlarged stadium was dedicated on July 7, 1948. It was expanded upon again in 1959.
By the 1960’s, Bailey Park sported 13 baseball diamonds, one lighted softball field, playgrounds and a swimming pool.
As Youngstown declined in population, portions of Bailey Park were closed and abandoned. While Bailey Park today features three picnic pavilions, a hard baseball diamond, practice football field, playground, two tennis courts, and a basketball court, the grandstand and swimming pool remain in disuse.