In 1862, thee Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis & Chicago Railroad (Big Four) purchased the Whitewater Canal right-of-way to enter Cincinnati, Ohio from the west.1 In 1883, it constructed the Central Union Depot (CUD) at Third and Central in Cincinnati, although it flooded before it opened due to its location in the old canal’s terminal basin.
In 1889, the Cleveland, Cincinnat, Chicago & St. Louis (Big Four) became part of the New York Central System.1 In 1930, it was merged into New York Central. By 1968, the railroad was known as Penn Central’s Southern Region Indianapolis Division, and Conrail in 1976.
- Tipton, Rick. “The PRR in Cincinnati.” The Pennsylvania Railroad in Cincinnati. By Rick Tipton and Chuck Blardone. Altoona: Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society, 2004. 3-103.