The Coster Repair Shops for the Southern Railway was constructed in 1895 in Knoxville, Tennessee and at its peak, employed over 1,200.1 It was named after Charles Henry Coster, founder of the Southern Railway System in 1894. It’s development led to the rise of the Oakwood neighborhood. The advent of diesel engines caused a decline in work orders and employment by the mid-1950s and the Repair Shops closed in 1995.

[/stag_one_half] [stag_one_half_last] [/stag_one_half_last] [/stag_columns]