The Flemingsburg and Northern Railroad was a standard-gauge railroad that existed from the Louisville & Nashville line at Flemingsburg Junction, Kentucky to Hillsboro. It was financially plagued and reorganized on seven different occasions before being abandoned in 1955.2
Chartered in 1876 as the Covington, Flemingsburg & Pound Gap Railway (CF&PG), the railroad was a planned 110-mile narrow-gauge from Covington to Hazel Green in Wolfe County.1 3 In May 1871, Robert Ewing sold one acre of land to the railroad and the company built a depot at Johnson Junction (today’s Flemingsburg Junction).3 The first segment to open was from Johnson Junction to Flemingsburg in the spring of 1877.1
Additional grading was completed to Hillsboro, but contractors stopped further construction due to non-payment.1 A receiver was appointed in August 1877, and the contractors laid track for the line from Flemingsburg to Hillsboro, a distance of 12 miles. The extension opened on December 17, 1878.
Nothing further was constructed of the CF&PG.
The company reorganized as the Licking Valley Railroad on January 24, 1880 in hopes of completing the line from Covington to West Liberty, county seat of Morgan County, a distance of 135 miles. It was again reorganized later in the year to become the Cincinnati & Southeastern Railway. Approximately 30 miles of the route across Campbell County was graded, but the contractors, P.O. Dickinson and C.Q. Colton suspended work in mid-1882 for non-payment. Dickinson was seeking $134,000, and at this time, $225,000 had been invested.1
The Union Trust Company of New York sought for foreclosure in early 1887. On May 7, the railroad was sold for $1 to Henry F. Huntington, who assumed debt on over $300,000. Holders of the first mortgage bonds bought an action for foreclosure in 1890, and the railroad was reorganized on April 15, 1891 as the Covington, Flemingsburg & Ashland Railroad. It operated until June 1, 1905, when it was reorganized as the Cincinnati, Flemingsburg & Southeastern Railroad (CF&SE).
On May 10, 1907, the Weaver’s Ford trestle, approximately two miles southeast of Flemingsburg, collapsed as a Baldwin 2-6-0, carrying a boxcar and a coach was crossing the trestle 38 feet above the ground.1 3 Four passengers were killed in the resulting accident and nearly 20 were injured. The trestle was never repaired and the line from Flemingsburg to Hillsboro was abandoned.
The remaining six miles of the CF&SE was converted to standard gauge in December 1909.1 3 The railroad reorganized as the Flemingsburg & Northern Railroad on January 1, 1920 and served as a freight line until December 6, 1955, when the final 13 freight cars were hauled out of Flemingsburg.1 3[/stag_one_half] [stag_one_half_last]