The Wheeling Terminal Railway (WT) is a former 9½ mile railroad between Martins Ferry, Ohio and Wheeling, West Virginia.
In 1888, the Martins Ferry Terminal Railroad (MFT) constructed 2.37 miles of traffic from the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad at Glenns Run in Martins Ferry to the base of the WB&T bridge over the Ohio River.
Designed by Job Abbott, a consulting engineer for the Wheeling Bridge & Terminal Railway Company,2 the river crossing was constructed by the Edge Moor Bridge Works of Wilmington, Delaware. The 2,097 feet, double-track crossing, with approach spans of 317 feet and 353 feet and five main spans of 152 feet, 525 feet and three of 250 feet,3 opened to traffic on September 11, 1891.1
After crossing the river, the WT immediately crossed under Mt. Wood with a 587 feet tunnel and a 1,226 feet tunnel 3 6 before crossing Wheeling Creek on a 320 feet deck truss over Wheeling Creek. The WT then connected with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) at 27th Street in Wheeling, a distance of 4.70 miles.5 6
Midway through construction of the bridge, the WB&T went bankrupt and was sold under foreclosure in May 1900 and reincorporated in June as the Wheeling Terminal Railway (WT).5
A 2.20 mile extension from the B&O at 27th Street to the Riverside Iron Works, including a 2,478 feet tunnel under Chapline Hill, was constructed by May 1895.5 The line was then extended .38 miles south to 9th Street Benwood by November 1896.
The Mt. Hood tunnels were partially rebuilt in 1904 while the Chapline Hill Tunnel saw significant work in 1926.4 The line saw two short abandonments: In 1926, the .60 miles of line from the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad junction to the DeHass Bridge in Martins Ferry was abandoned and in 1929, 1.28 miles of line was abandoned in Benwood.6
In January 1921, the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) took over operations of the WT.6 f
In 1938, the last passenger train crossed the Ohio River bridge and tunnels and was last used by a freight train in 1982.2 The Ohio River Bridge was demolished in 1993.