Bluestone School is a former school in Bramwell, West Virginia that was constructed in 1948 as an elementary and high school for black students.1  By the early 1960’s, the local school district had integrated students into all of its schools and Bluestone was reused as an elementary facility.

In July 1964, the Mercer County Board of Education agreed to close Bluestone High School and transfer students that August to nearby Bramwell High School.2 Students that were already attending Bramwell were allowed to continue on but no new students were being accepted; they were deferred to Montcalm.

Prior to the construction of Bluestone School, a two-story wooden high school stood on the east side of the Bluestone Baptist Church.1

In 2000, a restoration project for the abandoned school began under the direction of a formal Restoration Committee.1 The roof was repaired and the windows secured.

Sources