Hazel Green Academy is a former private school that operated between 1880 and 1983 in Hazel Green, Kentucky.
Hazel Green Academy was founded at the insistence of Mrs. Lou Mize, wife of state senator William Oldham Mize. Billy Mize secured support from W.O. Mize, J.T. Day and Green Berry Swango, with each donating $500 towards the construction of the Academy. 4 Despite the financial contributions, the project received lukewarm support from the local community.
The Academy opened in the fall of 1880.4 Tuition and boarding costs were paid with by outside donations and work scholarships. 3
“Hazel Green Academy is established as a Mission for the Kentucky mountains; hence its very low rates of tuition, and the offer of the managers to educate free of charge the worthy indigent. It is intended to bring it within the power of the poorest in this world’s goods to secure a good education. It is hoped the Academy may serve as a stepping stone to college and a higher sphere in life to some who otherwise might never have an aspiration beyond the life of their fathers. By giving young men and women a taste of better things, we hope to fill them with a noble ambition to rise in life.”
During executive committee sessions in 1885 and 1886, the Academy negotiated with the Christian Woman’s Board of Mission of Kentucky to hand over control and management of the school. 4 A provisional agreement was made under which J.W. McGarvey, who was a professor at the College of the Bible in Lexington, and R.T. Mathews, who represented the women of Kentucky. They were to act as proprietors and trustees in the management of the Academy. The joint administration continued until May 1888 when all control shifted to the Christian Woman’s Board of Missions.
Early on, Hazen Green Academy’s curriculum consisted mostly of college preparatory courses. Students were expected to participate in religious activities and extracurricular activities, such as various contests and athletic events. In 1900, the Academy began offering a two-year ministry training course and established a five-month business course in its new Commercial Department in 1903. 1 The Industrial Department was added in 1908.
In 1920, the Academy came under the direct auspices of the United Christian Missionary Society, a branch of the Disciples of Christ Christian Church. 4
Hazel Green acquired a large tract of land along the river to increase its working farm in 1924. 4 By the middle of the decade, the school featured a 212-acre farm, used clothing store, small hospital and kindergarten. 1 Electricity was generated for the campus and the town of Hazel Green from the basement of the Industrial Arts Building. Between 1928 and 1950, a large dairy barn and the first silo in the county was constructed, along with a deep water well, administration building, and gymnasium.
Due to the prevalence of free public schools, enrollment in grades one through six declined throughout the 1910’s and 1920’s. In 1929, the Academy began offering courses only for middle and high school students. 1 3 Under Henry Stovall’s leadership in the 1930’s, Hazel Green expanded its role in community-based programs.
From 1933 to 1953, the second floor of the male dormitory served as a twelve-bed hospital 4 and as a health clinic from 1956 until 1959. 1 The Academy co-sponsored a bookmobile between 1958 and 1960 which led to the opening of a public library operated by the Academy in the 1960’s. 1
The school struggled throughout the mid-20th century as enrollment dropped. Public schools were able to offer a comparable education at far less cost while providing higher salaries to teachers. Grades seven and eight were dropped in 1965, 1 along with all farming operations. 4
The Division of Home Ministries, the branch of the Christian Church that was then overseeing the Academy, began turning over administrative and financial responsibility to local officials. 1 Hazel Green Academy became an independent institution affiliated with the Christian Church in 1971. The school started a major push to strengthen its fundraising and recruitment efforts to lower teacher turnover and to boost enrollment.
It was only a temporary solution to a long-term decline of the school. On June 30, 1983, owing to an increasing fiscal deficit, the Board of Directors voted not to reopen that fall. 2
Administration & Classroom Building
The administration and classroom building was erected in the 1930’s.
Laundry & Store
The laundry and store facility was built in 1952.
Helen E. Moses Memorial Building
The Helen E. Moses Memorial Building was a male dormitory. Named for Mrs Moses who served for years as president of the Christian Woman’s’ Board of Missions, it was built in 1908 of stuccoed masonry. 4 In 1928, it contained a suite for the superintendent and 75 students. The building was renovated in 1968.
Ford Industrial Building
Constructed in 1908, the Industrial Building was where arts and crafts were taught. The building was the gift of Mrs E.L. Ford and her two daughters of Detroit, Michigan. 4 It housed the power, heating and lighting plants, the forging and carpentry rooms, the Industrial Arts and Home Economic rooms.
The gymnasium was constructed in 1935.
The female dormitory was built in 1901 and featured classical revival architectural elements. It was named after Mrs Caroline Neville Pearre, founder of the Christian Women’s’ Board of Missions. It was used as a classroom building from 1901 until 1930, and then as a dormitory for 35 residents, and as a dining hall and kitchen. 4