A gallery of other abandoned West Virginia schools.
Burch High School
Burch High School is a former high school in Delbarton, West Virginia that closed in 2011. 3 The town, incorporated in 1946, was named in honor of a New Jersey country estate belonging to one of the owners of United Thacker Coal Company.
The high school was first envisioned under the leadership of the Lee District in 1916. The principals of the Rock House and Upper Elk schools were brought to Mingo County in 1918 to organize the new school. The two principals organized a third-class high school at Rock House in 1919. In the fall of 1920, the new Rock House High School was moved to Upper Elk. Rock House was promoted to a second-class high school.
In the fall of 1921, Rock House High was moved back to Rock House as a first-class high school where the name was changed to Burch High School. The first graduating class, in 1922, comprised of 21 students.
Burch High shared its space with Burch Junior High untl June 1987, when the two schools separated. Burch Junior High remained in the same building while Burch High moved adjacent to the Mingo County Vocational School in Airport Bottom. Burch Junior High remained in Delbarton until June 2011, when it was consolidated with schools in Gilbert, Matewan, and Williamson to form Mingo Central High School, which opened in August 2011. 4
Clarksburg Central Junior High School
Clarksburg Central Junior High School was located along School Street in downtown Clarksburg, West Virginia. Demolition on the school began in March 2014 and was completed several weeks later.
Elbert-Filbert Public School
The Elbert-Filbert Public School is a former school in Elbert, West Virginia, a former coal camp owned by the United States Steel Gary Works.
The Elbert-Filbert school, which was used for white children, was constructed in 1922. 1 As of 2011, it was being reused as a church.
The Genesis School is located in McMechen, West Virginia.
Jolo Grade School
The Jolo Grade School is located in Jolo, West Virginia and was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. It was designed by Hassel T. Hicks and constructed by Virgil Stowe. While the school has since closed, the building still operates as a community center.
Lenore Junior High School
Lenore Junior High School was located in Lenore, West Virginia. Lenore, along with Kermit, West Virginia’s high school, were merged to form Tug Valley High School in 1987.
The Lincoln School is a former school on Hill Street in Hinton, West Virginia. Designed in a Neo-Classical Revival architectural style, the two-story building with a full basement was constructed in 1920 for black students prior to desegregation. 2 Due to integration, the Lincoln School was vacated in 1962 and reused for vocational classes.
The Mallory School is located in Mallory, West Virginia.
Sweet Springs School
The four-room Sweet Springs School is located in Sweet Springs, West Virginia.
Turkey Bone No. 14 School
The Turkey Bone No. 14 School is located in Webster County, West Virginia.