The Windsor School is located in the Walnut Hills neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio and was designed by Henry E. Siter5 and constructed in 1888.4 An addition housing a gymnasium was built in 1918.
As early as 1971, Windsor was on the list of schools that should be replaced or closed due to inadequate wiring, faulty pipes, crowded conditions and poor restrooms.3 Only eight toilets served 380 children and 27 teachers.4 Windsor closed in June 2004 as part of the Cincinnati Public School’s $1 billion, ten-year construction project to rehabilitate or rebuild nearly every facility within the city. Due to declining enrollment, the school merged with Douglass School before relocating completely to a new $10.8 million complex at 2600 Kemper Road that opened in 2006.
Windsor School was auctioned in July 2009, with the John J. Schiff III Foundation placing the winning bid at $200,000.2 After some negotiating due to the bid not meeting the minimum, the Cincinnati school board approved selling the complex for $225,000. The Foundation proposed rehabilitating the buildings for art glass studios and workshops for its Neusole Glassworks gallery and offices.
The City of Cincinnati Neighborhoods Committee held a meeting on March 24, 2014 to consider adding the former school to the historic registry.1