Deerton, Michigan is an unincorporated community in Alger County that was founded in 1882 when the Detroit, Mackinac & Marquette Railroad constructed a station for a lumbering camp. A post office opened in 1922, and in 1926, a small school was constructed at the junction of Deerton-Onota Road. Today, not much is left in the community – most of the residences are abandoned, although the school still operates.
Noted as the second oldest arcade in the United States, Springfield, Ohio’s downtown Arcade was demolished in 1988. The Arcade was adjacent to the Esplanade, and was a leading example of Romanesque, Italianate and Monumental architecture. It was bounded by S. Fountain Ave., E. High Street, Washington Street and Primrose Alley.
While spending a rainy day at a library, I managed to find some information on the now closed American Car and Foundry Company manufacturing company in Huntington, West Virginia, that dated back to November 1, 1872 when it was issued a charter as the Ensign Manufacturing Company. It is nearly as old as the city itself!
The Packard Motor Company on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit, Michigan was constructed in 1903 and closed in 1958. With just the exception of a brief reuse in several locations, the entire complex – 3.5 million square feet over 35 acres, produced 1.5 million vehicles. Designed by Albert Kahn, the industrial complex used reinforced concrete for its construction, a first for Detroit.
Caesar Creek School, located in Caesar Creek Township in rural Greene County, Ohio, was constructed as a high school in 1908. It began serving elementary students in 1927, and a small addition was constructed in 1957 that included two classrooms, two indoor restrooms and a gymnasium. Caesar Creek closed in 1967.
These classic Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad CPL’s at Limeville, Kentucky/NJ Cabin Interlocking are being replaced with new SafeTran signals.
Rusting dryers lie dormant in a collapsing section of Jeannette Glass.
Spindles stacked away at the Lonaconing Silk Mill.
The old Lilly’s Grocery in Lombardsville, Ohio rests quietly with a fresh coat of paint along Ohio State Route 73.
Work has been progressing at the former Mt. Sterling High School.
The Flemingsburg and Northern Railroad existed from the Louisville & Nashville line at Flemingsburg Junction, Kentucky to Hillsboro.
There is something to be said for hiking in before sunrise into the largest collection of abandonments in the United States: the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant.
All that is left of Parker Tobacco Company is the front facade.
A rural Dearborn County, Indiana residence provides a stark contrast between the size of houses then and today.
Klotz Throwing Company teaser.
The Tennessee State Penitentiary is a sight for… sore eyes?
Endangered historic sites: St. Mark Catholic Church in Cincinnati, Ohio.
A blast from the past: Ewing, Virginia.
Closed since July 2010, St. Mark Catholic Church in Cincinnati, Ohio is an endangered gem, along with St. Andrew and countless other churches within the Queen City.
Deep underneath Cincinnati, Ohio’s streets is the barrel house for Kauffman Brewery.