The Mansfield Savings Bank was located at the corner of 4 West Fourth and North Main streets in downtown Mansfield, Ohio from 1914 until the early 1980’s. The bank had previously been in an adjoining circa 1872 building. 5
On June 11, 1912, Mansfield Savings closed on a deal to acquire two buildings along North Main Street from the Martin Frank estate. 2 For several years, the bank had sought to purchase the buildings to expand their operations and to secure a prominent location on the busy street corner.
The directors of the bank at that time were considering constructing a seven-story skyscraper. 2 It would be the first skyscraper in the city. The basement and first level would be used for banking operations, while the second and third floors would be reserved other companies. The bank would use the remainder.
By December, 3 the bank opted for a one-story bank structure with a basement and mezzanine, built of granite, reinforced concrete, and a polished marble base, 4 with an interior composed of skylights, bronze doors, mosaic tile floors, and marble and bronze fixtures. 3 It was estimated that the cost of construction would total $100,000.
Work began on the new Mansfield Savings building by Feick & Son of Sandusky on April 7, 1913. 4 5 A structure at 93 North Main Street 5 was quickly remodelled within a month to serve as a temporary bank location while their original facility was partially removed. The new facility opened in 1914.
In the 1950’s, Mansfield Savings Bank merged with 1st National Bank and the building was converted into the Trust Department. 1 The interior was remodeled with a false ceiling, and the teller’s cages were removed. In the early 1980’s, the Trust Department moved to 3rd and Main streets.
Engwiler Properties purchased the former bank in 1986, and it has been used as an office. 1