Burton Pike House
The Burton Pike residence, constructed prior to the American Civil War, is located along Burton Pike in Scott County, Kentucky. The four bay-wide house features pegged windows, a Greek Revival era porch, built-in bookcases, recessed windows and separate staircases to unconnected second-story rooms.
Early settlers along Burton Pike included Clifton and Sarah Wallter Rodes, Waller Rodes and Joseph and Rodes Burch, who had moved from Albermarle County, Virginia in 1788. 1 The Waller Rodes residence and farm were sold to Jesse Hambrick at a later date. Hambrick, along with Joseph B. Kenney, purchased much of the land between Long Lick and Burton Pike with Kenney occupying the residence.
Kenney was born in neighboring Bourbon County in 1806 and moved to Scott County after he married Lavinia Lander in 1827. 1 He purchased 348 acres at $18 per acre from Henry Inlow in 1829, which included a roadway between the William Rodes and John Cartinhour houses. Kenney then acquired additional acreage from the estates of William Rodes, Rodes-Burch, Joseph Burch, from William Dickey, the heirs of Joseph McCalla, the Hambricks, Samuel Thomason, J.L. Thornberry, and Charles Parks, eventually totaling 1,400 acres.
Kenney moved to Georgetown in 1858 to join the Presbyterian Church’s movement to establish a female seminary. 1 He became a Farmers Bank director, president of the Lexington-Covington Turnpike Company and served various political offices.
The farm and house sold in 1873 to J. Frank Musselman. 1