Douglas was founded in 1891 by Douglas Gormon Sr. and William H. Gormon, both of who were senior partners in the Cumberland Coal & Coke Company, a subsidiary of Davis Coal & Coke. 1 While Douglas never incorporated, its population peaked in 1920 at 600 residents. Twelve underground coal mines, which first opened in Douglas in 1891, closed by 1954. In nearby Coketon, 175 beehive coke ovens were erected to complement the coal mines. A lumber mill, constructed in 1893, closed in 1912.
- Fansler, Homer Floyd. History Of Tucker County. 1962. Parsons, W.Va.: Mcclain Printing Company, 1993. Print. Reprint.