Ohio River Lock No. 32 is a former Ohio River lock near Vanceburg, Kentucky, in use by the United States Army Corps of Engineers from 1922 to 1964.
Ohio River Lock No. 32 was part of a 53 lock system built between 1875 and 1929 from the Mississippi River to the Allegheny River at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 1 The site is located on a high terrace overlooking the Ohio River and included houses, a maintenance shed, and powerhouse.
Lock No. 32, constructed from 1919 to 1922, was built with a box cofferdam and was founded upon wood piles driven to refusal. 1 Thirteen pneumatic steel caissons were designed, fabricated and erected by Dravo’s Engineering Works Division of Pittsburgh and towed 372 miles to the dam site.
The lock was rendered obsolete when the Captain Meldahl Lock and Dam was completed downstream in December 1964. 1 2 The lock chamber and wicket dam were demolished soon after Meldahl opened.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- O’Bannon, Patrick W. “Caissons.” Working in the Dry: Cofferdams, In-River Construction, and the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Pittsburgh: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Pittsburgh District, 2009. 44-45. US Army Corps of Engineers. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. Book.
- “Captain Meldahl Locks and Dam.” US Army Corps of Engineers. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. Article.