The Sheraton Motor Inn is an abandoned hotel and conference centre in Danville, Pennsylvania.
The Sheraton Motor Inn opened on October 22, 1973. 4 Developed by the Archris Hotel Corporation of Boston, 4 5 the hotel hosted a lavish, invitation-only, grand opening party on October 20 that included cocktails, ceremonies, dinner, entertainment and dancing. 4 An open house was held on the following day.
The new two-level facility featured 145 guest rooms, each with a colour television. 2 Amenities included the Glenwood restaurant, live entertainment in the Dell Lounge, an indoor “tropical” courtyard with a heated pool, saunas, a poolside “rain bar and cafe”, Springhouse Coffee Shop, game parlour, and banquet facilities. 2 4
Trustees of First Mortgage Investors filed suit against the Sheraton Motor Inn for $758,576 in back mortgage payments in January 1976. 3 The hotel had defaulted on a $610,000 note that had been due in November 1974. The lawsuit was later settled.
The Sheraton Motor Inn eventually became a Days Inn in 1999. 1 Despite a remodelling in 2010, the hotel closed after the 2014 Christmas holiday season.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- “Days Inn Danville Conference Center.” Booked.net.
- “Sheraton Motor Inn, Route 1-80 at Pa. Route 54 Danville, Pennsylvania Original Vintage Postcard.” Amazon.com.
- “Sheraton Motor Inn owners sued.” News-Item [Shamokin], 29 Jan. 1976. p. 3.
- “Sheraton at Danville readied for opening.” News-Item [Shamokin], 13 Oct. 1973, p. 2.
- “Area Happenings.” Evening Herald [Shenandoah], 19 Jan. 1973, p. 2.