The Fairmont & Clarksburg Electric Railroad, established in the early 20th century, was an electric interurban railway linking Fairmont and Clarksburg, as well as several surrounding communities in West Virginia.
The Fairmont, Morgantown & Pittsburgh Railroad was a 56-mile railroad that operated between Fairmont, West Virginia, and Uniontown, Pennsylvania.
The Monongahela River Branch, a 33-mile branch line of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, connected Fairmont and Clarksburg. Initially established in 1890 as the Monongahela River Railroad, this line played a significant role in the transport of coal and zinc. Traffic on the line declined throughout the later 20th century with the closure of a zinc smelter and coal mines along its route.
The Louisville & Nashville Railroad Rowland Branch connected Fort Estill near Richmond, Kentucky to Lancaster, Rowland, and Stanford, operational from 1868 to 1934.
The Louisville & Southern Railway Lexington to Lawrenceburg Division is an active and abandoned railroad in central Kentucky. At its centerpiece is Young’s High Bridge.
The West Virginia Central & Pittsburg Railway (WVC&P) is a former railroad between Elkins, West Virginia and Cumberland, Maryland that served coal and timber interests.
The Valley Railroad is a partly abandoned rail line between Harrisonburg and Lexington in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
The Cincinnati & Eastern Railroad (C&E) is an active and out-of-service railroad between Cincinnati and Portsmouth, Ohio.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Greenbrier Division is a former railroad in the Greenbrier River valley in Greenbrier and Pocahontas County, West Virginia. The 101-mile line was one of the C&O’s primary branch lines for timber products and served more lumber companies than any other in the state.
The Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine & Beattyville Railroad (RNI&B, Riney-B) is a former railroad between Frankfort and Beattyville, Kentucky. In its original form, the RNI&B extended from Versailles and Irvine, Kentucky. It was acquired by another railroad in 1899 and extended to Beattyville and Airedale. Another acquisition extended the line west to Frankfort, giving the RNI&B a total of 110 miles.
The Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad (M&C) is a defunct railroad that connected Cincinnati, Ohio to Parkersburg, West Virginia. Through acquisitions during the 1800s, the M&C commanded over 270 miles of railroad, from Cincinnati to Marietta and south to Portsmouth and Hillsboro. The line was later absorbed into the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, becoming its mainline between Cumberland, Maryland, and St. Louis. Significant portions of the route have since been abandoned.
The Wallkill Valley Railway is a defunct railroad between Kingston and Campbell Hall, New York. It was founded in 1866 and ceased regular service under Conrail in 1977.
The Maybrook Line of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad connected the Maybrook Yard in Maybrook, New York, to its Waterbury Branch in Derby, Connecticut.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway South Side Branch is a partly abandoned line along the New River between South Side Junction to Macdougal, West Virginia.
The Norfolk & Western Railroad (N&W) Twelvepole Line was part of the original alignment of the N&W between Lenore, West Virginia and Ohio. It was replaced by the 59-mile Big Sandy Low-Grade Line through Mingo and Wayne counties.
The Coal & Coke Railway (C&C) is a former railroad between Charleston and Elkins, West Virginia. It began as the Charleston, Clendenin & Sutton Railroad in 1891, reorganized as the Coal & Coke Railway in 1906, and leased by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) in 1917 before being merged fully in 1934, with the Charleston to Elkins route being designated the Charleston Division. The erasure of large scale timbering, the slow decline of the coal industry in the central part of the state, and the closure of a refinery in Falling Rock led the B&O to discontinue service along the Charleston Division at different times since 1941. The railroad began sharing trackage rights with the Western Maryland closer to Elkins in the 1940s, and abandoned its mainline between Adrian and Midvale. It then closed down its former mainline between Midvale and Roaring Creek Junction in 1972 following the closure of several mines. The B&O then tried to abandon much of its line south of Gassaway although portions were reprieved by Conrail and the Elk River Railroad. Ultimately, the closure of a mine along the revived Buffalo Creek Railroad led much of the remaining track south of Burnsville to be used just for car storage and repairs at Gassaway until that ceased in 2022. Today, much of the former Coal & Coke Railway between Gassaway and Charleston is being redeveloped into a linear state park open for recreational use.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Middle Creek Subdivision is a former 9.6-mile branch line from the C&O’s Big Sandy at Prestonsburg to David, Kentucky.
The Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railway (CH&D), originally chartered to build from Cincinnati to Hamilton, Ohio, and then to Dayton, owned or controlled 640 miles of track by the early 1900s.
The Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad (DT&I) is a former railroad that connected Ironton, Ohio, and Detroit, Michigan. Significant portions of the line are abandoned.
The 36-mile Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad (C&O) Dawkins Subdivision is a former branch line from Dawkins to Evanston, Kentucky.