Exploring western Pennsylvania, the heart of the Rust Belt.
The Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church is located near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and was host to a Slovak Catholic congregation. Designed by F.W. Wilson of McKeesport in the Gothic Revival architectural style, the building’s stance on the side of a hill, with its 150-foot tower, was to evoke a commanding presence over the Monongahela River valley.
The Turtle Creek Flood Control Project was constructed along Turtle Creek near East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania as a method to prevent catastrophic floods within the Turtle Creek valley. The project was the result of a 1907 flood, the St. Patrick’s Day Flood of 1936 and another flood in May 1946 that brought back flow from the Monongahela River into the Turtle Creek valley, flooding Turtle Creek and Wilmerding – and the Westinghouse Electric Corporation’s East Pittsburgh Works.
Southwestern Pennsylvania was once a region defined by its neighborhood breweries, and loyalty to a specific beer was often defined by where you lived. The Victor Brewing Company was no different, and was founded by Frank Maddas in 1907 with a capital of $400,000. Maddas also went on to start up Republic in 1909 and Greensburg in 1916 to serve both of those local markets.